1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing driver(HELP!!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by midlandman, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. midlandman

midlandman Thread Starter

I'm missing the driver for the "Wave device for voice modem",and for some reason I can't seem to locate it at all.On the disk for the 56K/V.90 on the bottom it does say Voice modem,but I tried every folder on the disk,and Windows can't find it.I even tried all the driver disks that I have and looked through all the folders with no luck.
    Anyone have any ideas?Thanks...

2. rugrat

rugrat

midlandman, on the other side of the lake!:D This file should have been installed when you first installed the modem. If you are comfortable with installing hardware, I would suggest removing the modem in device manager, shut down, physically remove the modem, reboot, shut down then reinstall. The wave device should install with the rest of the modem drivers. I had to do it this way a couple of times.

Let us know

3. midlandman

Thanks for the help Rugrat!
    I'm not too comforable with the hardware part of it.
    Do I really need this modem?I have DSL with an external modem.Can I just uninstall it altogether?Thanks again.

4. rugrat

rugrat

Before I lead you astray, I am not really sure what should show up in device manager when you have DSL installed. If this modem was in there before you had DSL installed AND the external was part of the DSL setup, you probably do not need it and can remove it but, I would hang around for other opinions before proceeding.

SeeYa

5. midlandman

But if I just uninstall the modem in Add/remove programs,whats the worst that could happen?Anything goes wrong and I could just install it again,right?
    Or,If I were to put the disk in the disk drive and reinstall everything,would'nt windows "see" that such and such is already there,and only install what was needed?Or repair?Thanks again,I do appreciate your help!

6. carltasha

carltasha

what is the problem , if you dont use it and it isent herting anything just leave it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!