1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing drivers with fresh xp install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by poopit, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poopit

poopit Thread Starter

Hey, I recently bought an xp home edition disc and did a fresh install on my computer because my old installation that came with my Packard Bell iMedia got completely messed up over time :) Anyway, I have now no drivers for anything. I downloaded the correct nvidia driver, which was easy to locate and which fixed numerous problems. However, windows doesnt ever know the logitech speakers are there. I have tried connecting them over and over again in the two different places I can put green and pink socket audio devices. Has anyone got any suggestions? I really don't know whether I need a driver for my sound card, which I think is intergrated. Not a certain brand such as my nvidia graphics card. Or do I need some other kind of driver? Like a mixer thing like I had sort of before that came with my computer. Please help a guy without a clue (y)

2. endfro

endfro

The driver for your soundcard will contain the 'mixer' that you are used to. Or at least it should.

http://support.packardbell.com/

That should get you started on finding the correct drivers for your audio card. I would find them for you if I knew more specific information about your PC.

Good luck!

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. poopit

poopit Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I used PC Wizard and found out that my chipset is 'VIA P4M890'. This means nothing to me :confused: What should I do next, if I need chipset drivers, how can I them? And how can I know what im getting is right?

Cheers
    Nick. (y)

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. poopit

poopit Thread Starter

Thanks im downloading and ill let you know what happens.

And just out of interest, say someone built there own computer, remember im not expert, would they to find all the drivers for their hardware?

7. poopit

poopit Thread Starter

Okay the via driver is now installed. I restarted my computer but it seems to have made no difference. I am still without sound, the computer just doesnt know anything is there. Its not picking up the speakers. Not even "new hardware found". I am now completely stuck... Anymore ideas?

Thanks,
    Nick :)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That should have added some system devices. Do you see any devices in Device Manager that are red or yellow?

9. poopit

poopit Thread Starter

Nope :(

Before, say if I didn't have any speakers attached. If I went on to media player, and selected a track and played it, it would have simply played but there would just be no outputed sound. But now, It won't play, I get a message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

So theres no sound device? Does this mean that Windows doesn't have a way to play something, even if there were speakers?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. "Installed" just means having a driver and working, and not that the device is not present at all.

What do you see in Device Manager under the Sounds section? See what the PCWizard says about your sound device. What board do you have (or make/model of machine)?

11. poopit

poopit Thread Starter

In the multimedia section there I get "High definition audio controller" next to "Device audio".

If I click on it I get something about manufacturer - Europop AG

Is this what im looking at?

Thanks.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. But we need specifics on the audio chipset. Can you find information on the specifics in PCWizard under the Multimedia section?

If you could also find some information on the board you have, we could find drivers for all the onboard devices.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

This is the audio driver for that board for a model with that mainboard from Biostar. It will probably work fine on your machine if you have the same codec (likely). Give it a try.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Driver/Audio/Realtek/AC97/2KXP/Setup.exe

The information you already gave me was the chipset (board). I just didn't recognize it as such since it is a newer model. 'VIA P4M890'

Once you have downloaded all these driver files, you may want to save them to CD in case you need them again. Rename that audio driver---"Setup.exe" doesn't give you too much information when you try to find it later :D.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

15. poopit

poopit Thread Starter

Okay, I downloaded and installed the driver... Nothing much seems to have happened :confused: It just installed and it went away... without a trace :p Sound still not working, Is there anything in paticular that I have to do?

(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!