1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maersk, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

hi, i recently reinstalled windows xp on a computer i was given from a friend. after booting the computer up i realized that i am missing a bunch of drivers. most importantly the ethernet controller driver which i need in order to connect to the web. i don't know alot about computers - just enough to know i need drivers. can anyone tell me how i figure out the names of the drivers i need and where to get them? the computer has an asus mother board and is built by a friend so its not all one manufacturer. please tell me what info you need and i can provide it. thanks!

2. raybro

raybro

A good start would be to identify the drivers you need.

Go to Start/Run, type in devmgmt.msc and hit OK. List all the devices with yellow !. Identify the item name, mfr and model when they are listed.

Post back what you find.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The main drivers will be ASUS, so check their website for drivers.

4. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. this is a list of the "yellow" devices:

Ethernet Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Other PCI Bridge device
    PCI Device
    PCI Memory Controller
    RAID Controller
    SM Bus Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatable)

when i click on properties for any of these items the Manufacturer is "unknown". It appears the only information is the location of it. i have no idea why that is...
    am i correct in assuming that these are hardware devices that are lacking drivers? sorry i am really not that versed in computer stuff.

5. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

hi i've been the asus website a few times and been unable to find anything. when i go to download / drivers it asks what model i have. i'm assuming here that i need to select the motherboard that i have?
    when i try to manually select it doesn't list my motherboard as an option. maybe i'm going about looking the wrong way?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

About half of those drivers will be installed by the chipset driver set. They require only default Microsoft drivers, but the OS cannot identify the devices without the chipset drivers.

What board do you have?

7. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

i have the A8N-SLI Premium mother board. thanks for your help so far. its all sort of greek to me.

8. Rockn

Rockn

9. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

thanks Rockn. i got to the download page for my motherboard but perhaps you can direct me here.
    it lists the following items: BIOS , BIOS-Utilities , ATK , AUDIO , IDE , LAN, RAID , Utilities , Others, and Manual.

i'm assuming these are the drivers i'm missing but i would never have known that because the names are all totally different from the items missing in my device manager (Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller etc.). Also each item here has a variety of versions available. how do i know which items i need as well as which version of each item?

thanks in advance, this forum has been really great for responses.

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    maersk:

Here is the support site for the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard.

Select the "Download" tab, then select "WinXP".

The chipset driver is in "Others".

The ethernet driver is in "LAN".

The audio driver is in "Audio".

Before you install ANY of the drivers, look at the BIOS setup screen and see which BIOS version is listed.

There's a warning about the chipset driver, depending on which BIOS version your computer currently has.

--------------------------------------------------------

11. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

OK. i've got internet and audio working.

i did encounter a problem when trying to execute the chipset driver. i got a message saying that continuing the installation would result in the destabilization of my OS and recommended that i cancel the installation. maybe i was installing the wrong one?

i downloaded the only chipset that seemed to fit my motherboard because it was the only one that didn't say 64 bit (i am running 32 bit). the first one listed warned that the BIOS needed to be 1006 or later and i believe i am running an earlier one because it was listed as BIOS revision 1005,5/30/2005.
    so i tried "nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.31 for Windows XP/XP/2003 (1/2)."

can anyone tell me which one i should be trying becuase i still have the following devices listed as yellow question and exlamation marks:
    PCI Device
    RAID Controller
    Unkown device
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

maybe these don't matter - i have no idea! :)

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Click the + in "Others".

Version 6.65 at the very top of the list is the chipset driver you should install.

Elvandil may have some additional advice for you.

-------------------------------------------------------

13. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

version 6.65 has the following message: To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver before updating Bios version 1006 or later.
    and my BIOS was listed as
    BIOS revision 1005,5/30/2005. so i'm not entirely sure what this means but will it cause a system crash?

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The way I'm reading it, it's saying to update the chipset driver before updating the BIOS to version 1006 or later.

--------------------------------------------------------

15. maersk

maersk Thread Starter

yeah you're right. i somehow didn't understand that. thank you! i'll try it later today.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!