1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing DVD Play icon on desktop

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DVDWatcher101, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DVDWatcher101

DVDWatcher101 Thread Starter

Hi there, I'm running Windows XP, and I'm missing the HP DVD play icon on my desktop; the HP DVD Play software is installed, it's just that the shortcut icon on my desktop that connects to HP DVD Play 2.3 is missing. How do I get it back?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Go to C:\Program Files and look for the according HP folder. Look inside for the appropriate icon. Right-click it and select Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

3. DVDWatcher101

DVDWatcher101 Thread Starter

Thanks, but it's not quite that simple. DVD Play seems to be stored in the form of an archive, and I can't create a shortcut to it directly, or at least I don't know how. I can create a shortcut to programs such as DVDP, or QP, but that doesn't have quite the same effect, in that neither brings back the original icon. I suspect that what I really need to do is reinstall the program, but I don't know how.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    If the shortcut is still on the START menu, you can simply copy it...or create a new shortcut to the same app.

To reinstall, you need the installation file or disc with the software. As it's "HP", I assume it was on the PC when you bought it. In which case you are out of luck without using your restore discs and returning the PC to the state it was in when it was purchased.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice