1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Ethernet connection Icon

Discussion in 'Networking' started by threesheets, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. threesheets

threesheets Thread Starter

Hi

I have a HP Compaq NC4000 with windows Home Edition XP and and under Network connections I no longer have my ethernet connection icon.

My LAN (the wireless conection is fine)

I have reinstalled the ethernet driver from the HP support and reboted the system yet the icon still does not show.

Under Device mangaer only the Wireless is showing (right click my computer, properties, Hardware, devicemanager, network adapters)

When i disconect from the wirless There is no conection to ethernet

Can someone please help

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like it maybe faulty - can we see a screenshot of the device manager are there any ! or ? anywhere in the window ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

windows key and pause Key should open to allow device manager to be seen on laptops may need to use windows key + FN key + Pause Key
    if not then

Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. threesheets

Hi Cant see the printscreen button on my keyboard

However under Device Manager, Network adapters the only driver is
    Intel(R) PROWireless LAN 2100 3B mini PCIAdapter

have tried to install Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Driver for Windows XP from the HP site it downloads runs and stores. Should this not also be showing in in the network adapters.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    anything with a ? or ! anywhere in device manager ?

5. threesheets

After several attempts have now managed to install the Broadcom Ethernet Driver.
    i noticed that the installation wizard was not quite finishing the install. took 10 attempts so now I have the driver installed and showing in the Network Adapters.

So problem solved....not quite now my system is telling me that my Network Cable is unplugged (have tried disabling and repairing)... the ethernet cable is attached to my netbook My housemate has tried his netbook ethernet connects fine

What other hoops do i need to jump through??

ps thanks for your help

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have edited your post - as a family friendly site - we prefer not to see that here

back to the problem

can you post a ipconfig /all

ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
    Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

7. threesheets

oops my apologies

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-30250e37fa

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-2A-E5-C6

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.6

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 December 2011 22:09:21

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 06 December 2011 22:09:21

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-02-DC-64-D8

Options Quote message in reply?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are there any lights next to the socket on the PC - also on the router does a light come on when the cable is plugged in

anything in device manager with a ? or !

also try safemode with networking

Safemode with networking
    with a cable connected from PC to router
    check the cable - see if there is a light on the router accosiated with the cable port used , also check if you have a green/yellow light on the PC LAN port
    - try safemode with networking
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works

i'm on UK timezone as i think you are , anyway signing off now

9. threesheets

ok

theres no light on the back of my netbook when the ethernet is attatched (though i dont think that there is a light to show this ) Unable to use in Safemode. There is also no ? or ! with the drivers showing under network adapters.

I am able to connect the ethernet to my other laptop an old toshiba satellite with no probs so i suspect that the problems is a software issue.

So the question to be resolved is why if I have the ethernet driver installed, the icon showing in both the bottom right tray and in network conections. Now driver is showing under Network adapters in device manger with no !,? or any other sign.

Having checked the ethernet cable with 2 other laptops showing that it is in working order so the problem is not with the cable or the router

why when I connect the ethernet cable to my HP netbook does it still state that the network cable is unpluuged??

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Start / Run / "control netconnections".

Right-click on Local Area Connection 3 and select Properties. In the top box, you should see Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet. In the bottom box, you should see at least 4 items: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). All four should be checked, however, the one you may be having problems with is Internet Procotol (TCP/IP). If it isn't checked, check it. If it isn't installed, select Install / Protocol, and select it.

In order for XP to work, you must have a network card (top box), a client (Client for Microsoft Networks) and a protocol (Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)). File and Printer Sharing.... allows you to do what the name says. QoS Packet Scheduler won't be used in your case, but doesn't hurt to have checked.

11. threesheets

Thanks for your help did as asked

Start / Run / "control netconnections".

all four items available and all four items already checked with a tick in the box.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Gigabit uses all eight wires while 10/100 Mbps ethernet uses only four. So, if the other laptops do not have gigabit ethernet it is still possible that the cable is defective.

13. threesheets

ohh was not aware of that, have another cable will try with this tomorrow

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice