1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing External Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tooty, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tooty

tooty Thread Starter

HELP! My computer was in for repairs and I didn't disconnect the external drive. Now, when I try to system restore, I get: "Changes made to drive F:\ after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from System Restore Monitoring or was turned off or removed." I can't find anyone who can help me. Somebody talk me through it and don't suggest to disconnect it and restart cause I've done that already. PLEASE SAVE ME!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why are you trying system restore on the removable drive? Chances are there's nothing that system restore could do on that drive anyway.

Why not tell us the real problem you're having, perhaps we can help?

3. tooty

tooty Thread Starter

The problem is, my external drive is there (physically) but the light is not on and it is not accessible. The system restore was a last ditch effort on my part. Prior to that, the printer wasn't there either but once I restored the system, I got the printer--the message I got about the F:\ drive was just a fluke in that I wasn't expecting it. The REAL problem is that I have a 13 year old boy who is dying to play "World of Warcraft" which is housed in that drive so he is distraught. HELP

4. JohnWill

Let's start by finding out if the drive is alive at all.

Boot the system with the drive "turned off", once you're completely booted, make sure it's connected to a USB port and turn the drive on.

Do you get the connect tone? Do you see the "Safely Remove" icon in the system tray? In Device Manager, do you see the drive under Disk Drives as illustrated below? Obviously, yours won't say FLASH drive, but this was a graphic I had laying around. :)

[​IMG]

5. tooty

tooty Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I did manage to get the people who screwed it up to fix it. They haven't told me how they did but they did so I don't care. Thanks for your attention though!
    I'll try you guys first next time!:)

6. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!