Missing field(s) in Outlook contacts using Outlook Mail Merge

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mlmorris

Computer: Dell Inspiron 6000 with 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor and 2 GB of RAM.

Windows version: XP/Pro SP 3 (V. 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp.080413-21111 : SP 3)

Word version 2002.

I have 2 problems with using the Outlook version 2000 Mail Merge feature.

Problem 1:

I want to Mail Merge Outlook contacts into Mailing Labels. however, there is a field missing from the available fields after I complete the all the steps.

I tried this 2 ways:

1. All contacts in current view/All contact fields

2. All contacts in current view/Contact fields in current view--after adding the Categories field to the Current View

I also tried adding a user-defined field and then tried both choices above.

In all cases,the Categories field or user-defined field is missing from the available fields: missing from the Insert Merge Fields and missing from the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box.

Here is the sequence I use:

Open Outlook

Click on Contacts shortcut (or View/Go To/Contacts)

Tools/Mail Merge

Select All contacts in current view/All contact fields from the dialog box choices. Select Mailing Labels from the Document type drop down box.

Click OK

Click OK on the warning message: "Outlook has created a MailMerge document...."

In the Mail Merge Helper dialog box, click on Main Document/Setup

Select the label product/type from the Label Options dialog box. Click OK

Click on Data Source/Get Data/Use Address Book. Select Outlook Address Book. Note that the Categories field is not included in the Query dialog box available from the Mail Merge Helper dialog box. Click OK.

The Label Options dialog box is displayed again. Select the label product/type from the Label Options dialog box. Click OK

Click Close

Using the Insert Merge Fields (Address Fields) tool on the Mail Merge toolbar, insert desired merge fields. For example, First Name, Last Name, Street Address, City, State, Zip.

Click the Propagate Labels tool in the Mail Merge tool bar. The merge fields show up in the remainder of the labels.

Say I want to edit the recipient list, for example, filter it so that only those contacts with entries in the Categories field are included in the list, I click on the Mail Merge Recipients tool on the Mail Merge toolbar. But the Categories field is not included in the list of fields.

I tried this before I selected the Propagate Labels tool, and the result is the same.

I also tried starting from Word, using the Tools/Letters and Mailings/Mail Merge Wizard feature. In step 3 of the Mail Merge process, if I choose Select from Outlook Contacts and then click on Choose Contacts Folder, I get this message:

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

The same thing happens if I ignore Choose Contacts Folder and try to go to step 4.

I don't understand why this happens, as setting Outlook as the default mail client should be, I think, independent of the Outlook address book. Also, I can't figure out how to set Outlook as the default mail client from within Outlook, and Outlook is not listed in the choices available from the "Set Program and Access Defaults" choices (although Outlook Express is).

Problem 2:

After using the Propagate Labels tool, the merge fields are displayed in the remaining labels, along with <<Next Record>>. However, when I click on the View Merged Data tool on the Mail Merge toolbar, only the first label has more than the first and last names.

I must be doing something (or several somethings wrong). Can anyone help? I have searched this forum for relevant postings without success.

I would export my contacts to an excel spreadsheet then run mail merge. You never know whats going on inside outlook...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online