1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing file...help?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DJPijor, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

I recently needed to modify my 'hosts' file in the Windows directory, and ended up losing the file altogether.

I wasn't sure what program to open it with, so I just started with a few random programs like 'COMMAND' and 'DOSPRMPT'...and then I unfortunately tried to open it with the program 'IAregChn'

The program didn't open the file at all, instead it simply removed the file from the Windows directory. There is still a gap where it used to be. After this, the search tool was no longer able to locate the file anywhere in my computer. It wasn't able to locate the 'IAregChn' program either.

I still have my 'hosts' SAM file, but thats not the one I need.

Does anyone have any idea how to retrieve the file, or download it somewhere? Or any suggestions really...I have no idea what to try.

Thanks.

PS: I'm using Windows ME, if it makes a difference.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG.

The Hosts file should be opened in Notepad. At least be consoled that if it has been deleted it is not a file that is active by default, but is created by certain web accelerators, ad and spy blockers.

If you are running a program which wants to use it, it will probably recreate it. You could make one yourself just by removing the .sam extension from the Hosts.sam file.

We occasionally recommend renaming the Hosts file to troublshoot and resolve problems with DNS associations because the Hosts file often contains outdated associations between domain names and IPs

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

ps, don't download the Hosts file from the above link, I include it just as a further explanation of what Hosts does.

3. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

first off, wow. I had no idea id get a response so fast, thanks.

but unfortunately, didn't work. ive tried changing the hosts SAM file, but since I open it with notepad, it just changes it to a text file, and the file that i lost wasn't a text file...can't remember what it was, but not text.

More specifically, the program which needs the file is an online game which requires the information I was going to add in order to connect to the server, so it doesn't create it on it's own. And adding the information to the SAM file, or the text file, doesn't do it.

I might not know enough of what I'm talking about to make any sense, but I hope somebody can help me out.

hope I get another response pretty soon, thanks.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Actually the Hosts file is a text file for all intents and puposes. It is just run without any extension.

As I said, if you remove the .sam extension from the sample file, you can roll your own.

The problem is that you need to know what Domain Names to associate with what IPs. If you do, then you can simply enter your own following the form displayed in the sample file.

Once you edit the file in Notepad, then you just save it under the name Hosts (with no extension)

If Notepad insists on saving it with a .txt extension, just right click on it and rename it without the extension

5. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

That's exactly what I did, opened the SAM file with notepad and entered in all the pertinent information, and saved it as just 'hosts'. no .txt or .sam. But when I right click on it and go to properties it calls it a text document.

Personally I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and tried to run the game with that...but no luck. the persons running the server I'm trying to connect to have told me that it can't be the SAM file, or a text document. (not necessarily just .txt)

however, when i emailed them my present situation they didn't have any answers for me.

anyway, any other ideas?

thanks again Rollin' Rog.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You must right click and rename the file. (Ignore the Windows warning when you do this)

Also be advised that when placing entries of your own in the file, they must not be preceeded by a rem statement. Rems will prevent the line from executing and are used only for lines that contain "remarks" or comments.

7. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

ive renamed both files several times, (the SAM file, and the one i created) but it doesn't help; ive tried connecting to the server after each alteration ive made. but the program doesn't look for the information in either of those files...its looking for it in the one that's disappeared.

also, i know that the information in both of those files is completely accurate. it appears exactly the way it should in the appropriate file. the persons who run the server have emailed my attachments of their hosts files (which work) and they look exactly like mine.

but in any case, aside from trying to create a new file to replace the old one...is there any way to retreive it? it couldn't just vanish from the hard drive completely....could it?

thanks for your patience.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it's not in the recycle bin there is no way to retrieve it. But I'm puzzled at the problem you are encountering. If the renamed file is Hosts (with no extension) and the entries are entered correctly then there is no reason why it should not work.

Was the previous file in the Windows directory or was it in the Programs directory of some other software?

Looks like someone else had a problem with Iaregchn

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=IAregChn&hl=en&[email protected]&rnum=1

9. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

nope, it was just in the windows directory.

i wish i could remember what type of file the 'hosts' that i lost was; since it wasnt a SAM or a text. then maybe i could create a file that the game would recognize. none of the people ive talked to know what to make of it, they just know that it runs flawlessly with the appropriate information in the original 'hosts'

on your PC, whether its ME or not...in your windows directory, do you have the file im missing? and if so, what type of file is it?

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

All I have is the sample file since I run no software which uses an active Hosts file.

If you've been emailed a copy of the file, you should be able to just drop it right in the Windows directory for it to work.

How was this file originally created? Maybe you should just remove and reinstall the game.

11. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

you know i never thought of that, but (using hotmail) when i download the attachment it just opens it with Internet Explorer...and when i just tried to save it to my hard drive it will only let me save it as a world wide web page...and then the only thing i can change that to is a text document...same as what I tried with the SAM file, which didn't work. good idea though.

i guess ill try talking to the people who run the server again and see if i can get some answers out of them.

any other ideas?

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So you still haven't been able to create the file without an extension? I can't understand why if you are right clicking on it and selecting "rename"

When downloading the attachment, you can also try right clicking and "save target as". That will allow you to specify a download directory. I would suggest the desktop or My Documents and then just copying it to Windows after examining it first.

13. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

no thats not it, its not a problem to create the file without an extension...none of the files have extensions...the problem is that under the properties, its a text document or an SAM file; neither of which work.

I already did the save target as, and then i opened the file with notepad, and resaved it...which then turned it into 'hosts' without an extension, but then under properties its a text file just like when i did it with the SAM file. same result.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that's strange, when I rename Hosts.sam to Hosts and look at properties it just says "File"

Here's one last thing you can try before I sign off for the night. If the problem just began in the last couple of days you can try restoring a previous registry. It's possible that the file you originally used to open Hosts altered some registry entries. (consider the name -- Iaregchn)

If you have Win98 you can just go to start>shutdown>restart in ms-dos mode and at the c:\windows\> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry which predates the problem.

If you have WinME, you will have to use a WinME startup disk. Select the "minimal boot" option. When you get to the A:\> prompt, then enter:

scanreg /restore

Any subsequent installs or settings changes that you have done after the restore date will need to be redone.

15. DJPijor

DJPijor Thread Starter

thanks, ill try doing that.

one more question about that though, if i reboot the system using the disk, wont it just go to its original startup mode, basically the day i got the PC? or will it just take things back a few days? how do i distinguish the difference or choose the right one?

anyway, thanks for all your help tonight...seriously.

cya.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice