1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing files being a pain

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cadeau, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Windows 98

Hi: I hope this is the right room for this question. I installed a program awhile back and I recently uninstalled it using the add and remove options in control panel. The program was removed but it left enough junk behind that I get a bunch of diffrent messages at bootup telling me that it cant find the file or files to launch this program. the program is that I uninstalled was called Hurricane 98. Anyways at bootup when these messages appear I have to keep hittin anykey to each of the missing files. Probally about 8 all together. Anyways how to I stop this so it goes to windows after a restart or a boot? Thanks

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You're right. This should go in the Windows forum, so I've moved it there.

I'll also attempt an answer.

Whenever you uninstall a program, you should always try its own installer first. You can usually find this by going to Start-Programs, picking the folder for your program (if there is one), and then the "uninstall" or "remove" option. This is true for AOL and other programs. It's a better install than Windows can do.

If I were you, here's what I'd do. I'd reinstall that program and then try uninstalling it the way I've stated above.

Hang tight, tho. I'm no operating system wiz.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it's the program described here, it sounds like it has some serious uninstall problems:

http://twcny.rr.com/technofile/texts/tec062198.html

You might get some assistance from a registry cleaner such as JV's:

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

I would leave the dll cleaning alone and just stick to the registry, in particular any entries relating to Hurricane 98.

There may also be references in system.ini and win.ini which may need cleaning. But try the registry cleaner first. If we can pare down the number of missing file messages you are getting, it will simplify looking for where they are being called from.

The files win.ini and system.ini will open in Notepad if you just run them from Start. You can search for Hurricane 98 file references which may remain there.

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Cadeau,
    Also try going to start, run, type in msconfig hit the startup tab, see if you can find all references to Hurricane98 and uncheck them. then reboot see what that does for you.also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!