1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing files during hardware installations

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Morania, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I have been trying to install a network card and the computer keeps giving me the same old stuff about "I can't find a file. Insert the Win98 disk." and then can't find the file there either and has a list so long of files it can't find that it's not worth going through the extraction procedures. It's not just about this network card. This happens all the time during installs and it's been annoying and troublesome even on the hardware that eventually was installed with no conflicts.
    I use XP now so my machines aren't as picky anymore but there are still plenty of 98 users asking me for help and I end up causing more trouble than they started with.
    Any articles or sites on this subject. It's so vast that I have trouble googling an answer.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Windows 98 has a annoying habit of asking for files already on the hard drive during network adaptor installations. A lot of the time, you can direct the PC (when it asks for the disk) to either c:\windows\ , c:\windows\system32 , and c:\windows\system\ and it will find the files needed.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As an added thought, you can't usually just point it to E: (for example) and stop there, you must direct it to E:\win98.

4. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

Thanks. There were also files, dll's that won't stay put when I reboot even when I pasted them in there.
    The real question is about a way for someone to open the secret scrolls of MikeSoft and find out how we can attack this problem everytime it occurs.
    I'm trying to get all of my people to switch to XP. I haven't had a hassle yet installing all kinds of goodies on that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!