Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Missing files on old HDD

793 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  eddhewett 
#1 ·
So I got a new laptop and a week later my old one completely died. Unfortunately as my old laptop would only stay on for 10 minutes at a time and then need a few hours rest (cooling issue I guess) I didnt manage to get all my documents and photos across.
No bother I ordered a case for the HDD and removed the HDD from my old laptop, chucked it into the case and plugged it into my new laptop. It shows up as OS (E: ) and inside I opened Users/Edd Hewett/Documents but it was empty!
However if I right click on the Edd Hewett folder it shows up as 211GB and 100,906 files.
I want to access pictures, documents, videos and music but all of these folders are showing empty with the exception of Music which has all its files accessable (but does not account for the full 211GB).
I did do a backup recently but not a complete backup and seeing as these files are here somewhere I would like gain access to them.

I have of course searched various forums for an answer and although many people have clearly had similar issues I have not yet found a solution that works for me.
I have tried changing permissions and ownership,, running chkdsk, booting in linux, plugging the drive into different computers, file recovery software and even spent time getting my old laptop running again.
Even with the HDD slotted back into the old laptop internally the folders were still showing empty!

Happy to try this all again to find a solution.

Any ideas?

I am now running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron and the old laptop was an Alienware M14X with Windows 7. Both systems have/had a password protected user account.

Also as a side question, what is the special permissions box for and why is it always always greyed out?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, welcome to the TSG Forums.....:D

If the files were associated with a specific User Account then (theoretically) you will need to login with that User Account to gain access to the files.

There are other methods to access those files but I am reluctant to discuss those methods on an open Forum such as this without the permission of a Forum Moderator.

T.

#3 ·
have a look at the user folder

pc>
users>
then look at the users available - you should see your user name
look there

OR
search the entire drive for file types you know are on the device and see where they are located

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.