1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Sitka, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sitka

Sitka Thread Starter

I've been working all day in trying to post a thread in here. My nephews came over yesterday and played on my computer and they deleted files I think. My cookies would NOT work for me to get into this site to log in. I deleted temp files, scan disk, defrag, repaired IE, nothing seemed to work until I checked date/time. They had it on 2006. So fixed that and here I am. But alot more is wrong and I can't seem to fix the problems. So I need you guys help.
    My recycle bin is gone. There is a Icon in its place saying that: Norton Protected Recycle Bin.....
    I keep getting Black screens when Windows is supposed to load saying a whole page of stuff. Here is afew of the things I wrote down.

INVALID VXD dynamic link call from VWIN 32 (01) + 00000714 to device 0009 service 1

A Fatal Exception OE has occurred at 0167: BFF8976B

And the files below it says is missing from my computer:

cyberkrn.vxd
    navap.vxd
    cshook.vxd
    system.ini

I know the second one is norton and I reinstalled it cause I looked down and seen that my icon was gone from my tool bar. But I don't know what the others are. And how can I stop those black screens from showing up everytime I turn on my computer? I know replacing those files might stop it. I can't believe I've tried for around 14 hours trying to get in here to post this thread. But all the help I can get is so thankful, Chara
    HP Computer
    Windows 98s

2. flyeater

flyeater

Yep your registry's messed up. I don't suppose you've backed it up?

cyberkrn.vxd is a McFee Oil change (?) program.
    navap.vxd I couldn't find anything on this but it looks like a Symantic (Norton) program.
    cshook.vxd Is another Symantic product called Clean sweep. See here .
    system.ini Is part of your registry.
    I'm afraid at the moment I can't tell you anymore than that. Dollars to doughnuts someone will chime in with some fixes for you asap.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Sitka:

Since you haven't gone past 4 days since this occurred, try this:

Completely shut down your computer, then wait 30 - 60 seconds.

As soon as you hit the power button, start tapping the F8 key repeatedly until the black DOS screen appears.

Arrow down to Command Prompt Only, then press the Enter key.

At the C:\> prompt, type SCANREG /RESTORE(exactly as you see it with the space between G and /), then press the Enter key.

Select the registry backup copy of the day prior to when your computer was messed with, then press the Enter key.

Follow the instructions from there.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

4. Sitka

Sitka Thread Starter

Well, I went in and did everything I was told and how I was told and tried to get a good backup. And it said it was a good backup but for some reason my computer went totally Black. I couldn't move, shut down or anything so I shut it down manually. The only way I could get onto my computer was to come up in safe mode. But I tried going back in 2 times trying to get a good backup and none seemed to work for me because the kids must have backed up afew times or something because each date was something different for the last 2 days. 2006 and 2004. And with having to come up in safe mode only I couldn't get back in here to ask questions or get some help. So I ended up calling Microsoft tech for some help. The first Tech I spoke to said the ONLY way to fix this is to go into Windows/Options/Cabs and download all those files onto a floppy so I can reinstall Windows. So I had to hang up and go next door and get one from my neighbor. So then I called Microsoft back and got someone else that time and he said that he didn't know who told me that but they were wrong in telling me this because I did NOT need to reinstall Windows and lose all my Data with doing that. So the black screens I was getting when turning my computer saying I had files missing he had me go into my regedit in my VXD files and delete them. They were in there and he had me delete them. I still haven't figured out why I was getting those black screens saying those files were missing or deleted when I went into the registry they were there and had to delete them. When I deleted them I stopped getting the black screens. He had me uninstall the Norton scan. Then told me when finished to reinstall it again.
    These are the files he had me delete:

cyberkrn.vxd
    cshook.vxd
    navap.vxd

And so far everything is running okay. I don't seem to have any problems. I hope my problems are solved now and I hope maybe my info can help someone else also if they end up with this problem in the future.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice