1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing . filessys

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by famousGino, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. famousGino

famousGino Thread Starter

I have a Acer laptop running Windows 95. When I boot the machine a message comes up asking to run the Safe Mode.
    Then the following messages pop up:

HIMEM is testing extended memory...done

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS

The following file is missing or corrupted:
    C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

I only have a boot disk which I dowloaded from BOOTDISK.COM.
    What can I do?
    I'm really going crazy.
    HELP

2. Dan O

Dan O

You need to Extract new copies of them from a .cab file. On most laptop the Windows .cab files are copy to the hard drive. Use Find to locate them. Then from MS-DOS prompt: Extract /a <cdrom>:\<win95 or win98>\<cabinet>.cab

IFSHLP.SYS should be in the .cab file 12/13/19 or 20 depending on the version of Windows.

If you don't have the .cab files you can download the .dll files from the net, here's one site to try: http://www.marketwizz.net/windows95/win95b/

3. famousGino

Thanx for your reply. I checked that website and I could only find "ifshlp.sys" which I downloaded. I couldn't find "dblbuff.sys". The problem is I don't know how to put this file (ifshlp.sys) on my laptop. Any idea where can I find "dblbuff.sys"?
    ps; sorry I replied so late.

4. famousGino

Anybody, please help. I have to fix this laptop or else...
    Did I mentioned it belongs to my girlfriend? She's gonna kick my back side if I don't make it work.
    Anybody out there, HELP!!!

5. Dan O

Dan O

That's funny you are afraid of your girlfriend.

Place the ifshlp.sys and dblbuff.sys files in C:\WINDOWS folder.

P.S. I was going to e-mail the second file but your profile does not include an address, add it or send me an e-mail message.

6. famousGino

Hi,
    I don't really know how to do that.
    I sent you a message with my e-mail address.
    Waiting for your reply or anybody elses who has any idea how I should sort this problem out.

7. Dan O

Dan O

I tried to send via e-mail.

Save the attached file to C:\Windows, which can be done when you select the attached and select Save-As to A:. Boot the laptop with a Windows Startup diskette, insert the floppy with the two files, copy them to C:\Windows, remove the floppy, and reboot.

i.e., COPY A:\ifshlp.sys C:\Windows.

8. famousGino

I did that and it worked.
    I still have to start Windows in safe mode. Then there is this message saying
    "This version of Windows runs only on MS-DOS 8.00".
    And then
    "C:\>"
    What command do I have to type in so I can start Windows up ?

9. famousGino

I just realized why it says "This version of Windows runs only on MS-DOS 8.00".
    After I copied those two files into the laptop and rebooting the system there was a message saying that it cannot load Windows because it cannot find "win.com".
    So, I copied that file from my other computer which runs Windows ME and put it into the laptop (which I think was very stupid-personal opinion).
    Now, there are no error messages but when I type C:\>win it says, again "This version of Windows runs only on MS-DOS 8.00".
    What do I do now?
    I screwed it up.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice