1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing folders/files-System Restore-More missing folders/files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Meegs, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meegs

Meegs Thread Starter

Hello!

I would very much appreciate some help finding my missing files and folders if possible.

I am running windows Vista version 6.0, service pack 2.

I started windows, and noticed that 5 of my desktop folders were missing, and all of the files contained within. A search for document and folder names returned nothing (even with advanced search options). One of the missing folders was called "term 1". I created a new folder, and tried to change the name to term 1. A pop-up told me that this destination (desktop) already contained a folder named "term 1"- did I want to merge these folders? I was confused, because I could no longer see the original term 1 folder. I clicked "yes" hoping that a merge would result in a visible term 1 folder, but now the new folder also disappeared. After some intensive searching, I could not find any of the folders/files that were missing. Some other folders/files were still visible on my desktop though.

I restored my computer to a previous checkpoint (from 2 days ago, after a windows update). After reboot, I received a message that the restore was unsuccessful. At this point, all of my desktop folders and files were gone, aside from windows default desktop icons. A search returned no results. I remembered that restore can fail because of an AV program, so I disabled Norton. I tried to undo the restore, which was successful, but no files/folders returned. I then tried to do a restore to a checkpoint from before the windows update. This was successful, but no folders/files returned. Yikes. I can still access the ones listed in my "recent items" panel, though when I try to re-save them, I get a "the file is read only/Normal doc" warning.

What have I done?! Can anything be done to restore my files? Strangely, a few random documents, and the majority of settings are still intact (firefox bookmarks are all in place, desktop background the same, etc). When I try to create a new folder called "term 1" I still get a message telling me that this destination already contains one. I should also mention that during the hunt for my folders, I changed my folder preferences to view hidden files/folders too, by right clicking a folder, and selecting "change folder settings". When I try to view these preferences now, by right clicking on any folder, the option to "change folder settings" is no longer visible. I also noticed that my quick launch buttons are gone if that means anything.

Any help/direction would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance,

Meegs

2. Meegs

Meegs Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!