1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing hal.dll

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trentiraffe, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trentiraffe

trentiraffe Thread Starter

I have had an ongoing problem with reinstalling xp pro where my hal.dll file suddenly goes missing. I thought it was an old harddrive problem but it just happened with one I bought not half a year ago.

I've read other forums and help sites about expanding it from the cd drive (which says it can't be done when I try) creating a new boot.ini, and writing a new boot sector. I've even reverted back to fdisking and formating with a windows 98 startup disk which worked for me a few times but now is seeming useless.

Please, I don't want to have to get a new harddrive because I know this one is still good. What can be done to fix this problem, if not for now, then permanently?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. trentiraffe

yea, that kellys corner site is the first site i spent 4 hours trying everything on it to get xp to install. i'll have to give that other site a try that you recommended. i'm not too sure what the acpi is used for but i trust that your suggestion will work. well, here goes.

4. trentiraffe

now when you say "The catch here will be the lack of normal shutdown and power management features in the ACPI less install" does this mean it won't shut down without holding the power button? and power the power management features that will be lacking, will it compromise components in my system? i don't want anything going bad on me because of this but if it's the only way, well then that really sucks.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yes, you will likely get to that old Win95 screen: "It is now safe to shutdown.."

However, take a look at your BIOS options -- if there is something there for APM (Advanced Power Management) -- that should be enabled, and Windows should install support for that. With APM, you should have normal shutdown and standby options. You may also have the option of disabling ACPI in the BIOS.

It will not otherwise affect anything in Windows.

I can't guarantee it will solve the "HAL" problem -- but I would expect it to from what I gather HAL does.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!