Missing hard drive icons - Unable to access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Funeraldriver

I've looked and no one seems to have my problem. I'm using XP and I have one 500gb hard drive partitioned and both icons are the general missing page icon. Upon double clicking them, I'm taken to the standard search option. This happens with removable media as well. I have shortcut keys on my desktop that are related to different subfolders of the two partitions and I can access the drives by going from the top down. I'm used Tweak and deleted autorun.inf files in the root directory and nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks

Funeraldriver, Welcome to the forum. Go to Start>Run amd copy & paste or type in:

regsvr32 /i shell32

Click OK

Note that the spacing is important.

Tufenuf

Funeraldriver, Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types tab. Hilite the "Drive", click the Advanced button, click the Change Icon button and hilite the icon you want, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Funeraldriver

Actually, upon fixing the problem using the regsvr32 /i shell32 method you suggested, I went back and I'm having the exact same problem as before. Would there be some type of program that would cause this to recur?

Funeraldriver

Ok thanks again. I've determined that any attempt to change the icon manually results in the problem recurring. Both the above solutions fix it, but when I choose the icon, it reverts back to the pain in the $#@ phase. Thanks for your help though!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online