1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by R. Lynn, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Lynn

R. Lynn Thread Starter

My Computer doesn't display a second hard drive. It is listed on the screen as the system starts. It is shown on the system under device mangager. I lost it when I reconfigered the the connections. I eliminated a ide addon card that was not working. I eliminated a super disk drive that I couldn't get to read 120 mb disks. Then I connected the two drives, one as master and one as slave on one 80 cable ribbon. I connected the dvd and cd readers on one 80 cable ribbon. On startup the system shows the two hard drives and the two cd readers. The device manager shows them also by My computer only shows the C: (hard drive), D: (dvd)and E: (cd).

Stranger yet I have reconnected using cable select instead of master/slave. Also I reconnected with the each hard drives as master and cd as slave. Still I cannot read or write to the second hard drive.

On my first effort to start up after eliminating the hardware that was not working the system would short cycle going so far in the startup process and then shutdown and restart. I reinstalled Windows XP/pro. Then Partition Commander come up on start up and ask which operating system I wanted to start with. ??? I choose XP and then the next screen ask XP or ME. I haven't used ME for a long time. I choose XP. When it came up all of my startup stuff was gone, I had nothing except XP and a fresh screen. When I look at My Computer all my files were there. But under programs on the start menu all of the stuff was missing.

I tried to reconnect using only the primary hard drive it would start only in the new XP. I reconnect the second hard drive and then I get to choose between A:XP or B:Windows 2003. ??? I chose B and the system starts with XP and all of my stuff is on the start up screen. Still no second hard dive on My Computer. If I set the bios to start with HDD-1 instead of HDD-0 I don't have to choose and my old XP starts. What's up?

2. winbob

winbob

Whew, I have to say that I'm not sure that I followed all of the trials and tribulations described above!!!

However, the symptoms that you have with the drive showing up during Boot, but not showing up in Windows generally indicates that the subject drive is not partitioned, not formatted, or both.

Based on the other problems you have with missing data, anything is possible!

I recommend pursuing that possibility.

3. R. Lynn

R. Lynn Thread Starter

Just as quickly as the drive would not showup it was all of a sudden there. I would like to get inside of the computer sometime to watch those little guys doing their little mischief, moving all of those bites and pieces.
    Thanks for your response.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice