missing hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JoMcKo

ok my computer is having a snowball effect in a bad way. it started with windows xp home edition update yesterday. after the update it is required to restart computer. during the restart it quit halfway through and told me NTLDR is missing...press ctrl+alt+del to restart. so i did,many times. it turns out i need to repair or re-install windows to fix this. so i put in my windows disk and now my hard disk drive cannot be detected!!! i discover that maxtor is a bad name for hard drives and tend to die fast. so today i bought a brand new western digital which im told is a much better name. along with this new HD i get a new SATA cable for good measures. I unplugg the maxtor and insert my western and still nothing can be detected. i go through bios but during restart i keep getting this msg "No Drive attached to fasttrack controller, the BIOS is not installed" so i found a place to help me with this.to do this i had to disable "OnBoard Promise Controller" because i do not have raid and it was set for raid somehow.

Also in my bios it tells me my PRIMARY IDE MASTER is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GS
and i have nothing detected for primary slave or secondary master/slave. HOW DO I FIND THIS NEW HARD DRIVE!!

I'll assume by your comments that your new WD drive is a SATA. Sata drives won't show up when your IDE devices are listed of course. Your DVD drive is listed as the primary master IDE device and nothing else is showing on your IDE connectors. Is that how you have things set up?

As far as not finding your new WD, does that happen when you are trying to install Windows?

JoMcKo

yes i am using SATA, now bare with me. dealing with my own computer inners is my specialty.. but i sent it back to the company where i got it from and they are dealing with the situation right now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online