1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing HD space,its not the bin ;),plz help!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by J413, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J413

J413 Thread Starter

Ok, I looked everywhere, but no answer came up. My problem is as follows:
    After deleting data from hard drive, free disk space is still reported as being in use. That means, even after deleting files free disk space is not available. All together Im missing about 5 GB on my second partition D: (NOT the one where xp is installed). It happens only sometimes, usually by deleting files from 100-700 MB. If I mark all files on D:, all files together take less space than windows says they do by looking at the total free/used space tablet (of course I turned 'show hidden files and folders' option on).

I already tried the following:

-Empty recycle bin ;), greatly reducing it's storage size
    -Disabeling hibernation/standby option
    -Running chkdsk /f
    -Disabeling Windows system recovery option
    -Empty Norton protected files

I dont have a clue what else to do, please help me out here..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice