1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing HD space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geeknana, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geeknana

geeknana Thread Starter

I have an HP laptop running XP pro with two 100GB HDs. The C drive total space when I view properties is 78 GB & the D drive total space when I view properties is 93 GB. What happened to the rest of my HD space??? It read 100 GB HD space when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago.

Recently my laptop has been running slow. I cleaned the start menu with MSConfig, am running AVG antivirus, Spyware DR. I also ran Adaware antispyware & Registry Mechanic & as a last resort ran Disk Cleanup from My Computer/C drive/properties. I went to Trend Microsystems & ran a system check that took hours & found no maleware or viruses.

Can anyone help me?? How do I get back the missing HD space? Why does my PC not recognize my whole HD? By the way, I also defrag regularly with Diskkeeper Lite.

Thanks for any help, not so geekynana right now.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

3. kimsland

kimsland

I agree with Alex Ethridge above, incorrect listing on two similar drive labelled sizes.

Also you must understand that even if the drive was marked correctly, Windows would still report the harddrive as lower than it is.
    This is due to cluster resizing. Or generally there are many gaps between your files that defrag cannot bring together. This cluster size reduces the overall size available to Windows (but not to startup Bios information)

The other point is your C drive sounds as though it may have the restore component hidden partition in front of it.

4. geeknana

geeknana Thread Starter

Its not the wrong size drive as both drives have the same model # & when I googled that # I got the info that they were 100 GB drives. Yet one reads 93 GB & one reads 78 GB.

could you explain what you mean by "having the restore component hidden partition in front of it"?

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Some computers have space reserved on them for the system recovery. This space is taken from your disk space and put into a hidden partition by the manufacturer to enable system recovery without having to use DVDs. This saves the manufacturer the 50 cents it would take to give you the DVDs and saves you from having to hunt down the DVDs as most people have no idea where they are after about a year.

Then there are those DVDs that look like they have been used for a frisbee catch game with the dog.

You usually access this system recovery by pressing a certain key on boot. Check your manual to see if this is the case with yours.

6. geeknana

geeknana Thread Starter

thanks alex. the light bulb just went on. i went back to My Computer to check & I have a E drive (actually a partition on my C drive) set aside for system recovery. It shows the size as 14 GB. There's my missing GBs. And reading your other post about HD sizes not being what the manufactured states, i guess my HDs are okay. That's a big load off my mind. thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!