1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing icon thumbnail images

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ascanio1, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ascanio1

ascanio1 Thread Starter

Hi to everyone & Hi @ THROOPER!

I am missing some icon thumbnail images.

Vaio SZ1VP laptop, Win 7 / Office 2007 / Bitedfender

Recently:
    - Fixed an Infineon/TPM driver problem - icon images still correctly displayed.
    - Followed "blackviper" web page tuning advice to reduce active services - icon images still correctly displayed.
    - Followed "blackviper" web page tuning advice to increase PC speed (Win7) for "best performance/best appearance". Amongst other tweaks I set classic windows' basic UI.

Problem started when I reverted to basic Win7 UI.

I already tried many forum solutions (including a few from this forum, deleting cache, reg modifications, MS file check/fix which took 30 minutes, right click on icon, properties, etc - but no option to change icon) etc... but none worked.

What does work is:
    Open the file which has the missing thumbnail image and save it with a different name - icon's thumbnail image is restored!

Still can't work out a solution for programs' icons missing thumbnail images. Toolbar Outlook and Skype icons still missing correct thumbnail image but Firefox icon image is correctly displayed.

Throoper helped solve a case: ( http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1024674-missing-shortcut-icons-pictures.html ) by offering 2 links & delete cache db.

I would like to try that, if Throoper has links for Win 7. Any other help/support greatly appreciated.

TIA.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice