Missing Icons from Windows 98 Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

G Foster

Upon startup Windows 98 goes through its normal process and ends at the log in screen for the ISP. If you close it then all you have is the blue/green wallpaper and nothing else. If you hit F5 on startup and bring Windows in Safe Mode then all the Icons are there on the desktop and work fine. How can I get them back for the normal startup. I would like to preserve my friends programs and data. Is it possible to reload Windows and maintain the integrity of the programs and data. If so, what is the routine for the reload from the CD. Help to this situation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have posted once before and have cleared the problem with the Virus Scanner since that request for help. GWF:confused:

It sounds like the ISP's software causing the problem. But you should be able to troubleshoot this using the System Configuration utility (msconfig). From Windows, either safe mode or normal, go to start>run and enter msconfig

Cllick the "startup" tab to see which programs load automatically at start. You can clear the checks for any to troubleshoot. Window's stuff (not likely to cause this problem) can be left enabled -- scanregistry, systray, loadpowerprofiles and taskmon.

Look for something from the ISP or something that would automatically launch a dialup connection and disable it. Feel free to experiment, all is easily reversable here.

Hi GF

It doesn't look as though you need to reinstall Windows as you can get it up and running in Safe Mode.

You state that the startup procedure stops at your ISP. Why does your ISP come up at start-up? Tis could be where the problem lies.

Can you get into msconfig in Safe Mode? - Start - Run - and enter msconfig and look at the Start-up tab. This lists all the programs that are involved in the process on you pc.

To be honest the only ones you really need to keep (i.e. those that need to be checked in the box) are:
Systray;
Scan Reg; Task Monitor;
Load Power Profile (2 entries - keep both if you use using power management facility;
any anti-virus programs and firewalls.

But before you go unchecking all the rest, and there may be a lot, look for an entry that suggests its related to your ISP. If there is uncheck it and try a reboot. If everything fires up Ok you,ve found your problem.

If not the best bet is to uncheck all but the ones noted above and then systematically add (check) the rest one at a time, rebooting each time, until you find the one that causes the crash.

Its a long road, but its also a good insight into all the trash that software programmers like to think you need on startup.

You need so little - the rest is always just a click away on your normal START menu, or in Explorer, anyway.

You will also have the benefit a much faster startups and shutdowns.

Hope this all make sense to you.

Hah!! Next time I go for a beer from the fridge I'll finish my post first so you guys don't get in their before me.
Best regards to all.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts