1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing items in Connection Properties Dialog

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by notjosh, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notjosh

notjosh Thread Starter

When I view the properties for any of my connections I just get this:

[​IMG]

If I go to "Install -> Protocol", I get the message "Could not add the requested component. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified".

When I tried installing 'Simple TCP/IP Services' in "Add/Remove Windows Components -> Networking" I got the error "Could not install the Simple TCP/IP Services component because a file or registry entry is missing".

I've tried updating my network adapter drivers, resetting TCP/IP, using Winsock Fix and running SFC, but have had no luck.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but if I right click the 'Internet Connection' icon and click 'Settings' I get "The Internet Connection Sharing computer is not configured to let network users control or disable the shared internet connection".

Can anyone explain what might be causing this behaviour? It doesn't seem to be causing any connection problems, but I would like to be able to access TCP/IP Properties to sort out a static ip.

I am using XP Home Edition SP2.

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. notjosh

notjosh Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I'd tried everything on that page aswell, but no luck sadly. I think it's describing something different anyway, as all the icons in 'Network Connections' are showing up fine, it's just the Connection Properties dialogs that aren't right.

I did, however, notice that the properties for my 1394 connection are fine, and have the name of the adapter as well as 'File and Printer Sharing' and 'TCP/IP'. It's just the Bluetooth, LAN and Wireless properties that aren't working. Does that shed any light on the issue?

4. mydliar

mydliar

Hello All,

I have the same problem as . I'm using (or better to say, I was using) the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.01.0600. Since it suddenly stopped to work properly, I tried to reinstall it, got stuck at uninstalling DNE (Deterministic Network Enhancer) subcomponent, tried manual uninstall as Cisco advised (it worked only partly) and ended up with brute-force registry editing that ended up with corrupted networking environment in Windows XP.

I spent last night trying to figure it out, but it went nowhere. At the moment, my safest bet is to reinstall "Simple TCP/IP Services" from Windows install CD, but this doesn't work either, the installed says "Could not install the Simple TCP/IP services component because a file or registry entry is missing".

Any help or hint would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Tomas

Attached Files:

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

Guys Try This

Open Device Manager > Remove The NIC Card From Device Manager > Reboot > System Should Reinstall The NIC Card > Check "Network Connections"

6. notjosh

notjosh Thread Starter

I've already tried that a couple of times, but it hasn't made a difference. I don't think it's an issue with the network adapter as I have the same problem on my LAN, Wireless, and Bluetooth connections.

7. mydliar

mydliar

Hello devil_himself & notjosh,

Thank you for replies. I've tried this also with my wifi adapter, it got reinstalled in the Device Manager, but it completely disappeared from "Network Connections" that means I cannot use it at the moment. My internal LAN card the only network device that still works (luckily).

I still think it has something to do with "Simple TCP/IP Services" that I'm not able to install.

Tomas

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

Download Process Monitor from Microsoft Sysinternals:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Unzip the archive and run the utility.
    Press Ctrl + E To Stop The Monitoring

Open "Add/Remove Windows Components -> Networking"

Start Monitoring Ctrl + E

Now Try Installing 'Simple TCP/IP Services'
    Stop Monitoring
    Save the results to a file -> File -> Save ->In the "Events to save", select "Events displayed using current filter". And save it in PML format.

Now Zip The Log And Upload It To Any Free Web Hosting And Provide The Link !

9. notjosh

notjosh Thread Starter

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

I Looked At The Log And i Have Some Suspicion About This Registry Key .Also I Was Able To Duplicate The Issue Here On My Computer By Deleting This Key !
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network

Start > Run > Copy And Paste Everything From The Code Box And Paste It Into Run Dialog And Hit Enter > A Notepad Will Pop-up > Close The Notepad > Navigate To This Location

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Profile --- There Should be A Text File Called DH.TXT

Attach It In You Next Reply !

Code:
    cmd /c Reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network" /s >DH.txt && DH.txt

11. notjosh

notjosh Thread Starter

12. devil_himself

devil_himself

Go To Start > Run > cmd > Net Start

Right Click Inside The CMD Windows And Click Select All Then Hit Enter To Copy Everything .Copy And Paste The Output Here!

13. devil_himself

devil_himself

Also Do The Following

Start > Run > rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf
    Start > Run > CMD /K NETSH FIREWALL RESET

14. notjosh

notjosh Thread Starter

These Windows services are started:

##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##
    Alerter
    Application Layer Gateway Service
    Automatic Updates
    COM+ Event System
    Cryptographic Services
    DCOM Server Process Launcher
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Event Log
    IPSEC Services
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    Plug and Play
    Print Spooler
    Protected Storage
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    RIP Listener
    Secondary Logon
    Security Accounts Manager
    Server
    Shell Hardware Detection
    SSDP Discovery Service
    System Event Notification
    System Restore Service
    Task Scheduler
    Telephony
    Terminal Services
    Windows Audio
    Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
    Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Windows Time
    Workstation
    X10 Device Network Service

The command completed successfully.

15. mydliar

mydliar

Hello Devil_himself,

I did all the traces and logs and uploaded it at http://www.uid0.sk/users/mydliar/

Thank you for the time you're spending on this, it's really appreciated.

Tomas

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705490