1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing items in Office Send To

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by roverman, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roverman

roverman Thread Starter

When in an Office program (Word, Excel), when you click File, Open, then right click on a file, if you want to Send To (desktop; a:\; mail; etc), the Send To is greyed out.

When in Windows Explorer, we can right click on a file and choose Send To, all the items are there.

I've checked the user's Documents and Settings: The SendTo folder and everything is there.

Any ideas on why it works in Explorer, but not in Office?

Thanks for your help.
    Randy

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    FYI only: Works in mine.

3. Gram123

Gram123

Doesn't work on our PCs at work either.
    It would appear that some versions of Office do not allow you to "send to" for any file other than the one that is currently open - and then only by going to File, Send To for e-mailing.

Obviously the options are different in sending a file from within a document as opposed to from explorer (which includes create desktop shortcut etc.).

Gram

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Oh. What version? I have all 4 that I can check... I only checked 2000 last night.

5. Gram123

Gram123

Your absolutely right Dreamy,
    it works on Office 2000 on my home PC, but not on Office XP at work.

Gram

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What's the email program listed in Internet Explorer under Tools-Internet Options, Programs tab?

7. roverman

roverman Thread Starter

We are using XP in our offices here.

The only difference between this and mine, is the person likes to experiment sometimes. Not whom I would classify an advanced user.

I'll check the IE settings. Not sure how the email setting works with this, but I know better than to argue against it.

8. Gram123

Gram123

Well, does it work on another PC that has Office XP?

Did it work before, but now it's stopped working?

It's just that in my experience, it simply doesn't work on Office XP, and it seems unlikely that this has to do with permissions. But I guess that may be to do with our settings as opposed to the capability of Office XP...

Gram

9. xgerryx

xgerryx

10. roverman

roverman Thread Starter

The SendTo works in Office XP (Word, Excel), but not for this person. SendTo does work for this person in Windows Explorer.

One thing about rights, since Microsoft is doing the Windows Updates all the time, I pretty much have to make each user an Admin. So, rights are not an issue on this machine.

I'm going to do the DreamBoat suggestion, but will wait until the user comes back. --> "What's the email program listed in Internet Explorer under Tools-Internet Options, Programs tab?" I should be able to check later today. I'll let you know if this was it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice