1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Local Area Connection - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jasiel, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasiel

jasiel Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and I have a wired ethernet cable connection from Comcast. My modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB5100 and my router is a Compusa Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch (SKU# 313831). I have had the same Windows XP installation for many months until a few days ago when I decided to format it and install a fresh Windows because my PC was going really slow and I thought it was time for a fresh and faster XP. So, I did a fresh installation of XP to replace my old one. The installation went well, but when I logged in, I realized that the Local Area Connection was missing! So, I can't connect to the Internet! It doesn't let me add a home network connection, which is what I have, because it says that I don't have the hardware required installed properly. My internet connection was installed automatically with my previous XP installation, as I would assume happens with most installations, and I have never have had to install any hardware, so I was very shocked. I tried installing XP 2 more times with 2 different CDs and I did the long format, but the same problem was on each installation. Two days ago I installed Vista Ultimate to see if my internet would work on it, and it did. My internet connection was automatically installed with Vista and the Internet is working perfectly. So, I guess my network hardware must be installed properly if it works on Vista. But now I'm confused with what the cause of the problem is. I think it may be my hard drive, BIOS settings, or my network settings for XP. I appreciate all comments and advice! If you need any more info or have a solution, reply or e-mail me at [email protected]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Install the chipset and NIC drivers from your Drivers CD, or get the latest package from Dell's web site. Use your Service Tag for fairly painless searching on their site.

3. jasiel

jasiel Thread Starter

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice