1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rudi1966, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rudi1966

rudi1966 Thread Starter

I just installed 2 gig matched pair of corsair ram to go along with a pair of OCZ 512. In my bios it shows 3072 installed but only 2560 usable. In windows system it shows 2.5 gigs. Sandra, cpu-z show all four sticks and 3 gigs. While I doubt I am going to notice any performance drop, I would just like to know where that half gig is, and if its recognized in bios is it available even though windows doesn't see it? I am running windows xp pro 64 bit. With latest bios. thanks in advance

rudi

Specs:
    Asus a8n-sli deluxe
    above mentioned ram
    athlon 64 x2 4400
    twin BFG 7600

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I hear Windows XP sees up to a certain amount of RAM, though I don't think that's the case here.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

64 bit should see all of it--try resetting the CMOS. Disable quick boot in your BIOS and watch it count the memory.

Might try memtest overnight and see if it finds any errors.

4. AustinM

AustinM

I have this same problem.

Computer specs:
    Asus P5W DH motherboard
    Intel Core2 Duo 2.4GHz
    Vista Home Premium
    4x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 ram
    2x Asus 7600GT 256MB video cards
    650w Seasonic psu
    150GB WD Raptor HDD

The mobo is configured for dual channel memory. I first had 2x1 Gb sticks installed, and the system saw 2Gb memory. When I installed the second set of 1Gb sticks (for a total of 4x1Gb), the system now reports 2686Mb total memory.

The bios lists ~4Gb memory, but says that ~14xx Mb is preallocated... Is there any way to reconfigure and/or release the ~14xx Mb of allocated memory, to get total available physical memory closer to 4 Gb?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Then I should be correct. Windows XP does not see more than 3GB. I don't think that there is anything you can do.

6. AustinM

AustinM

Couriant - if you're replying to me, notice that I'm running Vista, not XP.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    My bad, I wasn't paying too much attention on that part :eek:

I guess it looks like like the same thing though. Let me see if i can find something.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  9. AustinM

AustinM

Thanks. How do you add the /PAE switch to the boot.ini file, and where is the boot.ini file located?

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I don't have vista installed, but in other windows OS it's usually in the root directory of the C drive (C:\ ). It's a system file so it will be hidden. What you can do is open up Notepad or whatever Vista's default text editing program, then go to File > Open and type in for the file name C:\boot.ini and press Open. (assuming the file is on C:\) That should open up the file.

11. AustinM

AustinM

After some research, Vista doesn't use boot.ini, it uses bcdedit.exe to modify the BCD store. I downloaded a couple programs to modify the BCD store, turned PAE on (which should send a 64 bit addy as two 32 bit addys)... but nothing.

I'm fairly certain that the problem is in Vista. The bios will accurately detect 4096 Mb physical memory, but then I think that Vista is allocating upper memory addresses to other system memory, like what's on my video cards, etc.

Still looking for a fix...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!