Missing Memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rudi1966

I just installed 2 gig matched pair of corsair ram to go along with a pair of OCZ 512. In my bios it shows 3072 installed but only 2560 usable. In windows system it shows 2.5 gigs. Sandra, cpu-z show all four sticks and 3 gigs. While I doubt I am going to notice any performance drop, I would just like to know where that half gig is, and if its recognized in bios is it available even though windows doesn't see it? I am running windows xp pro 64 bit. With latest bios. thanks in advance

rudi

Specs:
Asus a8n-sli deluxe
above mentioned ram
athlon 64 x2 4400
twin BFG 7600

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I hear Windows XP sees up to a certain amount of RAM, though I don't think that's the case here.

64 bit should see all of it--try resetting the CMOS. Disable quick boot in your BIOS and watch it count the memory.

Might try memtest overnight and see if it finds any errors.

I have this same problem.

Computer specs:
Asus P5W DH motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo 2.4GHz
Vista Home Premium
4x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 ram
2x Asus 7600GT 256MB video cards
650w Seasonic psu
150GB WD Raptor HDD

The mobo is configured for dual channel memory. I first had 2x1 Gb sticks installed, and the system saw 2Gb memory. When I installed the second set of 1Gb sticks (for a total of 4x1Gb), the system now reports 2686Mb total memory.

The bios lists ~4Gb memory, but says that ~14xx Mb is preallocated... Is there any way to reconfigure and/or release the ~14xx Mb of allocated memory, to get total available physical memory closer to 4 Gb?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then I should be correct. Windows XP does not see more than 3GB. I don't think that there is anything you can do.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
My bad, I wasn't paying too much attention on that part :eek:

I guess it looks like like the same thing though. Let me see if i can find something.

Thanks. How do you add the /PAE switch to the boot.ini file, and where is the boot.ini file located?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't have vista installed, but in other windows OS it's usually in the root directory of the C drive (C:\ ). It's a system file so it will be hidden. What you can do is open up Notepad or whatever Vista's default text editing program, then go to File > Open and type in for the file name C:\boot.ini and press Open. (assuming the file is on C:\) That should open up the file.

After some research, Vista doesn't use boot.ini, it uses bcdedit.exe to modify the BCD store. I downloaded a couple programs to modify the BCD store, turned PAE on (which should send a 64 bit addy as two 32 bit addys)... but nothing.

I'm fairly certain that the problem is in Vista. The bios will accurately detect 4096 Mb physical memory, but then I think that Vista is allocating upper memory addresses to other system memory, like what's on my video cards, etc.

Still looking for a fix...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online