1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing msconfig in xp

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by suzy_cook, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suzy_cook

suzy_cook Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I had problems with being hijacked a few weeks ago and everything is fixed now with the exception that msconfig is missing.
    When I go to start and then run, I type in msconfig and then hit ok and then nothing happens. Even tried to browse and it is not there.
    I even tried a search and nothing.
    Any suggestions on where it went and how I can get it back?

Thanks,

Suzy

2. ratchet

ratchet

From http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

"Extract a New Copy of Msconfig.exe "

Open a command prompt window. Insert your XP CD into the drive and enter the following command:

EXPAND -R X:\I386\MSCONFIG.EX_Z:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\BINARIES

3. suzy_cook

suzy_cook Thread Starter

Good evening Ratchet,

As I have found out recently, windows xp came pre-installed on my computer with no disc. I found out the hard way that they have to ship a disc but I do not have one.

Any way I can do this without the disc.

By the way....the link you have for Kellys Korner is a real nice and friendly site.

Thanks,

Suzy

4. ratchet

ratchet

What is the Make and Model# of your PC?

5. suzy_cook

suzy_cook Thread Starter

hp pavilion 304-w-b

6. ratchet

ratchet

7. suzy_cook

suzy_cook Thread Starter

Good Morning,

I went to system file check and ran sfc/scannow. Still nothing. But I did find out that my Norton let a virus through. Just for giggles I went to Panda Software and did an online scan and found "Bloodhound.w32.ep". Went to security response at Symantec and found out how to get rid of it.

Once I ran all of the scans got updates etc, etc. Guess what was back???
    I also found out that it wiped out my search too. But everything is back.

I also found at Microsoft a way to download the xp startup disc's. You have to download it and install it on 6 1.44mb floppy's. I now have that in case I need it again in the future.

Any way....Do you know of any anti virus programs that won't let this happen again. I mentioned in my first post that I had been hijacked. Even though I had Spybot s&d running, Norton, Adaware and had my firewalls enabled with my security protection at high. I even have my active x set to prompt. I have noticed that Outlook will not allow Norton to scan any incoming emails. It scans my outgoing but not the incoming.

I guess this is a whole new issue. Maybe I should post in a different forum.

You have been so helpful, I will continue to snoop on all the forums and hopefully I won't have to post again. (But then again, I'm running xp what are those chances)

Thanks again,

Suzy :D

8. ratchet

ratchet

I am glad you got your problem resolved, and thanks for letting me/us (TSG)know how.
    I'll try to remember that for future reference.

If Norton is updated regularly it should catch those little nasties.
    But if you don't pay and keep it updated it becomes useless pretty quick.

Get AVG for FREE

For some good security info go to http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice