Missing Music Files

thekid913

Hello.....I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. I had a very old computer, about ten years old, with Windows 7. We had a power surge and after that it kept freezing at the Windows boot screen. Rather than repair an ancient computer I decided to get a new one (with Windows 10). I needed to get my files (mainly music) off of my old computer that wouldn't boot. My son suggested a hard drive enclosure. This worked great. However, while transferring my music files to iTunes on the new computer I noticed a lot of the files weren't there. Some were hidden and I was able to go into settings and find them. However, I am still missing a ton of music files. Any idea where those files went? Very frustrating. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Oddba11

Jim
Do you still have the drive in the external enclosure? If so, reconnect it and manually copy the files from the old HDD to your music folder on the new computer.

thekid913

Yes, I still have the old drive. However, I already did that. I have a copy of the music folder from the old hard drive on my new computer. Can't find the missing files anywhere.

Oddba11

Jim
If you can't find the files on the old HDD, they are either in a different location or no longer exist.

thekid913

That's what I figured, a different location. I just can't find them anywhere. Checked a few other areas and no luck. Have no idea where they could be. They must be there since I listened to those songs within a day or so of the power surge. Any idea where I should look?

Oddba11

Jim
I keep all of my music in a single folder.

You could maybe try using search. Otherwise, simply browse through the drive, folder by folder.

thekid913

Just saw something interesting. I finished loading all the files that I could find into iTunes. When I right click on the folder with all of the music files and go to Properties it says there are over 6k files in the folder. I only have about 2k in iTunes. It's telling me there are about 4k still in there that I can't see. I already found the hidden files in settings. [profanity removed by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddba11

Jim
What file types? Could be unsupported file types or they are tagged in such a way that iTunes won't use them. I can't really say as I don't use iTunes.

Hello.....I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. I had a very old computer, about ten years old, with Windows 7. We had a power surge and after that it kept freezing at the Windows boot screen. Rather than repair an ancient computer I decided to get a new one (with Windows 10). I needed to get my files (mainly music) off of my old computer that wouldn't boot. My son suggested a hard drive enclosure. This worked great. However, while transferring my music files to iTunes on the new computer I noticed a lot of the files weren't there. Some were hidden and I was able to go into settings and find them. However, I am still missing a ton of music files. Any idea where those files went? Very frustrating. Hope you can help. Thanks.
Sometimes it happens that the hard drive just starts to fall apart and some files are lost... I'm afraid you have such a case.

You can use Recuva to recover the deleted files, I ve tried it and it really works

TerryNet

Terry
thekid913, I edited your post # 8. Please remember that this is a family friendly site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts