1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing My Documents, Favorites etc. from user profile - corrupt profile

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by b.r., Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b.r.

b.r. Thread Starter

This question has been raised before by others but apparently no solution was offered by anyone.

I have two user profiles on the same PC with one (main user)having the administrator rights.

Today, when I attempted to log in as the main user, I got the following message:

" Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator."

I found one microsoft support note which suggests that a new profile needs to be created and the contens of the old profile except .dat files have to be copied in the new profile folders.

However, all my folders in the original profile including MY documents and Favorites are EMPTY.

I am unable to retrieve valuable files. Can anyone suggest a step wise procedure to locate where my files have disappeared.

By the way, I tried system restore operation to restore the system three days backward. yet, everything is the same and the folders are empty. so, i have undone the system restore. thanks

PS
    AS AN ADDITIONAL INFO, if it might help, i have discovered rather large "FOUND.000" folders ion"C" drive. the last one has the size 897 mb which is about the same time that the folders and files disappeared. i have read that these foldrrs are similar to .chk files and can be remvoed. however, i am not sure of this in view of the missing data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!