1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing network password problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlbertB, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

God - Networks!!!

I have two machines at home, one running Win2kPro, my own, and the other Win98SE, my sons. He recently reset his network password and has now forgotten it! I can see and access his machine as normal from mine and on his machine I can see and access shared resources on my own when logged on as administrator. When he logs onto his own machine as himself however it insists on his entering a password, which of course he can't.

I have tried resetting everything from my end and his end without effect. I have tried deleting his user account on his machine and installing a new one to no avail. I have tried deleting files concerning his passwords and allowing them to reinstall. I have even downloaded password cracking software and used that, but to wait through a week of continuous crunching is not really on at this stage.

I just know this is going to be down to simple settings somewhere and I have been through the things I have experience of, but possessing a none networked brain I have no place to really start.

I should mention one peculiarity, we run the network on NetBEUI rather than TCP/IP to isolate internet traffic from LAN traffic. I am a little paranoid that way.

Can anyone offer advice?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice