1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Network Software.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cinders, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Hello,

A friend of mine has asked my advice and as I don't know the answer, I know someone here will.
    She was just taking a look around her pc.

She clicked on 'My Computer' and Lt. clicked 'Internet Connections'
    a dialogue box appeared headed:-

Missing Network Software

Either dial up Networking or TCP/IP is not installed on your computer, or the installed version is an older version. It is strongly reccomended that you install this software.
    Would you like to automatically install the latest version now
    Yes/No.

If she clicks 'Yes' she is requested to insert her Windows 98SE disk.

She has cable modem Broadband. Connected by USB

A few months ago she was advised by a Tech Support person to delete a TCP/IP in her Network Configuration as she had two entries listed. Since then if she switches on her printer after her pc she loses her internet connection, but if she switches her printer on before her pc everything works ok.

In view of the fact that she has cable modem, and not dial up, should she go ahead with the install or not?

If so would she need to shut down her firewall and NAV prior to install?

I know someone here will know the answers. I have so much faith here.

Thanks

Cinders.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

1st thing is run system file checker to replace any corrupt files; RUN/ type sfc and replace files as necessary (but all changed files will show).

When installing b/b modem firewall should be disabled (and all non-vital b/g progs should be off on any install, especially av).

If this doesn't work reinstall 98 over itself which keeps data (but b/up in case). You'll have to rechange some settings and visit Bill for updates, but it'll get os right.

3. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Than you Rache,

It was the Windows disk that would need to be inserted to install TCP/IP.

She was just unsure whether or not she should install or not.

Thanks

Cinders

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice