1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LGNiles, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LGNiles

LGNiles Thread Starter

I have a small peer-to-peer network consisting of 4 Win 2000 computers and 1 Winxp computer. The network runs through a Netgear FS508 switch which is connected to a Netgear Firewall/Router for internet connections.
    The network has been up and running for some time.

Recently one of the Win 2000 machines has lost and been lost to the network. I can ping IP addresses from the affected machine but not a computer's network name. I cannot ping the affected computer from any other machine.

The affected machine is physically hooked into the network, I can access the internet.

Running the netdiag utility, the affected machine passes all the tests but comes up with a note on the NetBtName test that "No remote names have been found". That isn't much help.

When the affected machine is booted it produces a problem across the network, the other machines come up with a system error:
    MRxSmb - The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer GX110 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{C9EE6753-0BBE-4D4A-BB2. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

I can eliminate this error by stopping the Computer Browser service on the affected computer, but this doesn't help with the basic problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From the other computers, can you ping the problem one by IP address.

This sounds very much like a master browser issue.

1. Can you turn the problem one off.

2. On the other computers, run nbtstat -n. The one that is the master browser will show ..__MSBROWSE___ at the end.

3. Then turn on the problem one on and see if you still get the warning about elections being held and which one is the master browser.

3. LGNiles

LGNiles Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply Bob.

From the other computers pinging the IP address gets timed out.

With the problem computer on but with the computer browser service off there is no error message. I ran browstat status which showed 1 master browser, 2 backup browsers (one of which is the master browser), 5 servers in domain.

When I started the computer browser service the elections error message is back and browstat status shows a different master browser, only 1 backup browser (the original master browser is missing), 5 servers in domain. The new master browser is the computer that was the other backup browser in previous run.

In either case, with computer browser service on or off on the problem computer, it doesn't respond to pings or list the other computers. Also when the computer browser service is turned back on the computer that was originally the master browser doesn't show all the computers on the network in My Network Places.

Bottom line - with problem computer turned off, or with it on and the computer browser service off the rest of the network runs without problems.
    With problem computer turned on and the computer browser service on there are problems elsewhere on the network. When the problem computer is on with the computer browser service on or off it will not recognize any other computers on the network.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can't ping the that is a much lower level problem that needs to be resolved before browsing is likely to work.

You might try using a known working network card, cabel and port on the hub.

You can also temporarily install NetBEUI, uninstall TCP/IP, and reboot. The install TCP/IP again and uninstall NetBEUI. This sometimes fixes corrupted files.

5. LGNiles

LGNiles Thread Starter

Thanks again for the response Bob.

The confusing thing about this problem is that the nic, cable, and switch port are all working. I can access the internet through them since the firewall is connected through the switch. Also the windows netdiag utility comes up clean on the problem machine except that it can't find any network names, and I can ping out from the problem machine (but only to IP addresses not names).

I'll try the TCP/IP and NetBEUI suggestions.

Assuming that your original idea of a Master Browser problem was correct, what would you do next?

6. LGNiles

LGNiles Thread Starter

Okay!

The NetBEUI-TCP/IP switch worked. Everything came back up normal after second boot.

Thanks again Bob.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad that worked.

It isn't too often but occassionaly the TCP/IP files just get corrupted and need to be reinstalled. Same thing can happen with Win98 and XP as well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice