1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Operating System

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by humphrey, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. humphrey

humphrey Thread Starter

My husband's computer has Windows ME, when booting up it shows blank screen with "missing operating system". We have been unable to boot up from the system recovery disk, boot disk that was downloaded from bootdisk.com and from a DOS boot disk. All boot disk show error of not operating system or error reading disk. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I did read several responses on this site, but none that work for this problem.

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Use the WinME boot disk and use option 3. I think they call it "minimal". Then at the C: prompt check to see if the windows directory still exist.

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

At the C: prompt type in DIR /P.

Check to see if you can find the windows directory.

Tap the enter or space bar to go to the next page of directories.

4. humphrey

humphrey Thread Starter

I appreciate your response, but I cannot get to a c: promt. I am not able to enter anything. I've tried a windows me boot disc, dos boot disc and a fdisk and I cannot get beyond the line of missing operating system.

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You must not be booting to the WinME boot disk because it contains everything that you need. Insert the boot disk THEN boot up the machine. It will detect the boot disk and then load the files on it. If you cannot boot to the boot disk, then you need to check your BIOS or the 3 1/2 drive.

6. humphrey

humphrey Thread Starter

I've not fooled around much with the BIOS, what would i need to check on that. I made sure it was booting from the floppy drive and that was all I did. I really appreciate you trying to help us through this problem.

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

No problem, glad to help :D

You will be looking for something in the BIOS that says "Boot Sequence" or "Boot Order". It should have your 3 1/2" drive as number one (1). This way when you have your boot disk in the floppy and it looks for an operation system, it will look for it first from the floppy drive. The boot disk will then load all of the files that it needs to allow you to get to a C: prompt.

8. humphrey

humphrey Thread Starter

I do have it set to boot from the floppy drive first then the hard drive and last the CD drive. Is there a way to get to safe mode when this occurs or since it does not recognize a operating system will it allow you to do that. I know that on my compaq if I tap the F8 key as it is booting up it will allow me to boot up into safe mode. when this problem occured, he was trying to reinstall WinMe on top of the current version without uninstalling. Could this be the problem?

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome........If I may butt in here :D

Can we be sure the hard drive appears in the bios setup?

You posted while I was typing....do you see the hard drive identified there?

10. humphrey

humphrey Thread Starter

the hard drive appears in the BIOS. I did try tapping the F4 key at boot up and it did seem to want to go to a system recovery. During this recovery we got the error message that was below. I also was able to change to a c: prompt but was not sure what to do from there. I tried to reboot with the WinMe boot disc and I still get error message of non system disc.

Abort: 19225.Decrompression error -3
    Error: Problem encountered. Image not restored properly
    Image error encountered
    X: recover\AGCRM10A.BA\Install

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is there a history to this problem?

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Yes and no :D You are allowed to reinstall on top of the current version, BUT it might not have installed correctly (or fully).

Did he do anything else, or just a simple reinstall on top of the old version?

Can you still get to a C: promt?

13. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

When dealing with boot disks, keep one thing in mind. Boot disks must be CREATED not COPIED.

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Select and download the boot disk for your version of windows.
    (The Windows 98 SE OEM boot disk should boot most Windows 9x systems.)

Download the file and remember where you put it.
    Insert a clean floppy diskette in your floppy drive.
    Double click on the file you just d/l'ed and that will CREATE a boot floppy.

Place the new boot floppy in your computer and power up. You should get an A:\> prompt.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!