1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing or corrupt config/system file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mainstreetop, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mainstreetop

mainstreetop Thread Starter

Was watching movie on laptop last night and computer restarted on its own and a 'missing or corrupt config/system file' message came up.

Tried a repair using my XP cd, but no luck.
    Tried to get to DOS prompt but can not even complete a 'dir' of my c:\drive. Receive 'error occurred during directory enumeration.' Can't change directory / can't make directory.

Tried chkdsk /p /r but receive message about 25% into it indicating unreadable volumes

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Hi Mike,

Sounds like your HD may be failing. If you don't have your valuable data backed up, it would be worth trying to retrieve anything of value before doing anything else.

I would recommend using a BartPE boot CD or one of the Unix live CD's to try accessing the drive and copying any valued files to other media.

After that, I recommend getting the manufacturers diagnostic disk and using it to test that drive. After you get a report on that, then a more informed decision can be made. There is a slim chance that the drive could be good and the problem may be your power supply or some other hardware item.

At any rate, the HD diagnostic disk will help in diagnosis of problems beyond just the HD. If the system balks running the diagnostic disk, or any other bootable CD or floppy for that matter, it points to something other than the HD.

3. mainstreetop

@surferdude -
    Thank you for responding to my issue. I did a little searching and now have my bartPE cd created and in the troubled machine. It seems to have loaded, but I'm not sure how to see if I can retrieve any important data.

Do you know of a source that provides steps in copying the data?

Thanks again,
    Mike

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Mike, Good to hear you got the BartPE CD going. Just use it to log on to the system and you will be allowed to use regular Windows drag/drop to get any files to some other media, like a USB flash drive.

It may take you some time but it's the only way I know to save your bacon.

The CD is fairly user friendly but does have a learning curve. Spend some time browsing with it and post back if you hit a snag.

Once you get your treasures copied off, you can run chkdsk /r from that CD and with luck you may get back in business. That tool is on there.

If that fails, you'll want to test the HD with manufacturer's diagnostics. Those are available for downloading.

Post back if ???

5. mainstreetop

I found the file management utility, but there are no file/folders in the c:\ folder. I guess it looks like I either lost it all or the hard drive is bad like you initially suggested.

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

Try the chkdsk /r while you're at it. There still may be hope but it's getting slimmer.

7. mainstreetop

Unfortunately, I cannot even get to a c: prompt. I receive a 'This volume does not contain a recognized file system' message.

I'm taking the laptop to someone on Thursday. I'll just have to see if they have any luck.

Thanks for following this thread. I appreciate it

8. surferdude2

surferdude2

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you Mike. Please post back your finals on this so others can possibly benefit from your grief. It probably is the drive but I'd not put it down without a thorough test with diagnostics.

All the best,
    dude

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!