1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing or corrupt file???? HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kiddo 52, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiddo 52

kiddo 52 Thread Starter

When i started my computer this am, I got this message
    file is missing or corrupted C:\WINDOWS\HIMEN.SYS
    type the name of the command interpreter????
    what do I need to do??? this is a windows 98 program....
    you are always great help..... :confused:

2. fpmm25

fpmm25

Do you have a boot disk?

3. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

4. kiddo 52

kiddo 52 Thread Starter

what do I do with it????? ;)

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you on the computer now? In other words, was this a temporary problem?

If you are continuing to get that error on another system, you may need to both repartition the drive and reinstall the operating system.

However if the error is ONLY being caused by a missing himem.sys file, you can replace it by booting with a startup floppy for the operating system. At the a:> prompt enter:

copy himem.sys c:\windows

Then remove the floppy and ctrl-alt-del to reboot.

^ indicates where the spaces go: copy^himem.sys^c:\windows

Unfortunately the "command interpreter" message often indicates a corrupt ms-dos partition. You can check this from the a:> prompt by entering:

fdisk /status

(there is a space before the /)

You should see the correct partition information for your drive displayed. If not, the drive has to be repartitioned and the operating system reinstalled.

6. kiddo 52

kiddo 52 Thread Starter

No I have the computer at my flower shop......it was having a no work day today......do you think that I can figure this out or should I just take it in to best buy...... I really don't know what happened. I was told to restart my computer after some program and it just came up with the file message...... thanks for helping me try to figure this out on my own....... patty

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is it under warranty? I have almost no doubt they will Fdisk and reformat the system for you. This will mean loss of any data. But that seems to me to be a likely outcome; it's just a matter of how much personal time you want to invest.

Try replacing the himem.sys command as suggested. Also, from the same a:> prompt try entering:

sys c:

you 'should' get a message "system files transferred"; if you do, this is hopeful and rebooting may be successful.

8. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

I think you have a memory problem? Check the ram

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice