Missing or Corrupt file prooblem in windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FallenOne

Hello everyone,
Alright, I wouldn't normally post this in a new thread, but it is a problem that is "solved" but has become a consistent problem on the same computer.

I built a new computer and installed windows XP Pro on it. Here are the specs:
ASARock 939Dual-SATA2 MB
AMD Athlon64 3500+ CPU
WesterDigital 7200 WD800JD 80Gb HDD
Aspire ATX-AS520W PSU
NEC ND-3550A Drive
1Gig Corsair DDR-400 Ram

It worked fine for a few days, then I got this blue screen that said I have a system error and that I am missing a file or it is corrupt c:\windows\system32\config\system.

Now, this was fine because I thought I knew the answer to this problem, which is incidentally the answer to another recent problem posted on this board, it can be found here:
http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-0

I performed the operation, and again, it was all well and good for a few days.
Then I got the same problem again. I used the same solution to make a fix.
Then it happened again.

So, my question is what's the problem? Do I have a hardware problem? I even used two different WinXp install discs to solve this problem on different occasions since I only needed the recovery console and I thought that the original disc might have become damaged or something...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

FallenOne

UPDATE:
Thanks for the reply,
All the BIOS settings are solid.
At this point I can't get the computer to boot at all. It's gone from completely fine, to could boot to windows but would periodically restart, and then blue screen, to starts up in blue screen, to black screen after the POST.
So the POST that I get is fine, but then it's just a black screen forever.

I tried entering setup using the WinXP installation CD with the intention to run a repair installation, and where before I was able to use the repair console to try the fix that I mentioned, I can no longer get into setup. It just hangs at the "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" that comes right after the prompt to boot to CD.

This is getting worse and worse and my workable options have sort or run out so anything you can help with would be great!

NOT in order but a xp black screen is caused by> partion table> bootsector> NTLDR>masterbootrecord,CREATE a xp boot disc. Go to microsoft support,there in support under computer stops responding with black screen when starting XP good luck

FallenOne

Whoa whoa, okay, I understand that I will be able to enter setup when I use an XP boot disk, but what am I supposed to do from there?
Thanks for all your replies.

Could be a memory problem, can you remove a chip (or only one in it?)
Is the system BUS or CPU overclocked?

If you can remove a ram chip, do so and attempt to re-boot. You may need to run a full install but first, if you can boot from your XP cdrom, enter the recovery console and run chkdsk /p

jrbuergel

Jim
Possibly a faulty or inadequit power suppy unit, insufficient cooling, a loose connection inside your PC case, or a bad hardware device driver. Ispect and check everything inside the PC. Also try to test your hardware components using a good diagnostic program from CD or a floopy disc. Or just bring the computer in to your local area computer repair store.

FallenOne

I pretty sure all the hardware is up to spec cooling and power-wise.
I have two ram sticks so I removed one, the computer booted. Then I switched and tried the other, computer booted again...
I have switched to using the other two DIMMs for the two RAM sticks (there are 4 on this MB). The computer ran fine for a while, then I got another blue screen.
I entererd the recoverey console and ran chkdsk /p. It tells me that it has found one or more errors, but now there is a promt, and I don't really know what is a good idea to do from here.
I think I will try to run a repair install, do you think a clean install is necessary?
Thanks.

Need to know is your system overclocked?
So you can boot to windows, but it will freeze at some point? What is the "prompt" you get in chkdsk?

run chkdsk /f and see if it can correct the volume.

FallenOne

UPDATE:
I am not overclocked. I just ran chkdsk /r and it locked up at 61%.
I'm going to run chkdsk /f and then try chkdsk /r again too.
Thanks.

FallenOne

oh yeah, forgot to mention. I CAN boot to windows sometimes, but it will randomly just restart on me sometimes. Also, I get bluescreens a lot and then restarts, or bluescreen right after a restart.

By "promt" I meant that I got the usual <c:\windows> after running chkdsk /p and I didn't know what to do next.

FallenOne

hm, when I run chkdsk /f it tells me that the parameter is not valid.

I decided to go with chkdsk /r again, and I am running that now...

FallenOne

okay, I keep freezing up before getting all the way through windows setup when I boot to the XP install cd. So I'm basically stuck out of the recovery console now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online