missing or corrupt <windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cparker

Hello-

I am using Windows XP Professional. On initial bootup process, I get a black screen with the error message:

"Windows could not restart because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Please re-install a copy of the above file."

The mouse and keyboard are not working. I can do nothing except restart by pressing the power button on the tower. I put the XP disk in to try and reinstall, and the desktop came up. However,it would not run the disk and, again, the mouse and keyboard were not working. The mouse pointer is stuck in the center of the screen. They are both properly connected. Can anything else be done to fix this? Like I said, the mouse and keyboard are apparently disabled, and the disk will not automatically run when I put it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jiml8

Sounds like it could be a hardware problem.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to download Knoppix and boot into that. if you can get it to start, and it comes up and your keyboard/mouse work, then a hardware motherboard problem is eliminated. Further, Knoppix should detect and mount your hard drive; if it fails to do so that gives substantial weight to the possibility that you have a failed HD. If it does detect and mount it (it will mount it read only) then there are a plethora of tools on Knoppix that will enable you to diagnose and repair whatever is wrong with the partition table or file system.

Go here to get knoppix.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online