1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing OS / SCSI Hard Drive Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leadchipmunk, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadchipmunk

leadchipmunk Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have an HP Workstation XW8200 running Windows XP SP3 that I tried hooking a projector to. I used a VGA splitter with one out going to the monitor and the other going to the projector. When connected while the computer is already running, the projector works. But once the computer is off, with the projector connected and running, and then the computer is turned on, it no longer recognizes my hard drive.

This problem is NOT fixed when the projector/splitter is disconnected.

In the BIOS, the hard drive is recognized but it will not boot. I tried booting into a Windows XP disk and running recovery mode, but it doesn't see the drive. Same goes for booting off of my thumb drive into Linux (Lucid Puppy 5.2.0), it does not see that I have any hard drive installed.

This has happened to two computers already, both are the same model and setup.
    The hard drive in question is connected to onboard SCSI, and is a SeaGate Cheetah, I'm not quite sure what size.

I did take another hard drive from a third HP XW8200 and put it in to the non-working computer and it booted fine.

I do not see the projector causing the computer to not recognize the HD, but it definitely seems to be the catalyst for both of these computers (with each individual problem happening months in between, and over a dozen other similar computers still working fine).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wit's end.
    Thanks,
    L_C

Oh, and there are no error messages when trying to boot from HD, just a black screen (no blinking cursor or anything).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!