Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Missing Partition" - Acer Recovery Disk

9K views 42 replies 2 participants last post by  bonk 
#1 ·
I am experiancing really big problems using my Acer Travelmate 4202LMi Laptop.

I cannot hear any sound, I cannot use my webcam, and I can't use the Acer Empowering Technology. I have tried to use the System Recovery disks to re-install windows... and It gets so far into installing it, then says "Cannot Install Operating System, Missing Partition" or something along those lines.

I need a free and easy to use software that will allow me to re-install windows on my laptop using the recovery disk.

Thanks for any help given!:)

#17 ·
I would do these sans here if you haven't already

Download and Install Ad-Aware SE] (update before scanning)

Download and Install Spy-Bot S&D, (update before scanning) accepting the Default Settings

This is a free and good cleaner

ATF Cleaner

Run ATF Cleaner
Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

Firefox :
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Online scan BitDefender

#19 ·
No way you scanned with Bitdefender in that time.

You obviously just want a quick fix

You can try the XP disc but it will wipe everything including the hidden partition I think, which would mean your recovery disc would no longer be of use.

but it's your call

#21 ·
Have you looked in Device manager by pressing Windows Logo key + Pause Break key then Hardware tab then Device Manager...and look on the left for any warnings signs (maybe yellow triangles)
Tell us what you find

You can post a HijacThis log which will determine whether your still infected

Before you post a HijackThis log

Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
Unzip HijackThis into this folder. Please delete the old copy (including the zip copy) so it can't be used.
If required a tutorial is here = HijackThis Folder Tutorial

Download Hijack This to your desktop open it and click on the Hijack.exe it will open and use the default path, check do you wish an Icon.......click on Icon and choose scan system and save a logfile usually in notepad.....copy and paste the logfile in your next post, using Ctrl+A to copy All and Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

Do not Fix any entries with HijackThis yet

Someone will help you after you posted your log

#22 ·
It is definately not infected, I have had it checked. I am willing to format the hardrive and use the xp disk to re-install windows, but how do I do that? When I tried puttin in the windows xp disk, then restarting my computer, and booting from the cd, it starts to loads the components etc, and then a blue screen comes up sayin "your computer has to be shut down to avoid damage to your computer" or something along those lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.