1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing parts of browser and search functions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by synlupri, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. synlupri

synlupri Guest Thread Starter

Well this one is really strange and I need help asap please.
    I'm running WinXP Pro SP2. I'm not able to search at all. When I click start search, the window comes up blank except for the little dog search buddy.
    Also, while I'm online, I cannot download anything. For Example: if I go to download.com, all I see is the name of the file. No download link.

I've tried disabling popup blocker in Control Panel/Security / and turned the firewall off. I've tried cleaning temp and cache. I've tried to reinstall IE SP1, but it says my version is older, so I can't. i've looked thru the registry and can't find anything.

I did just remove the SD BOT virus from the pc, so I wonder if it corrupted something along the way?

Has anyone ever run into this?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi synlupri

Can you access
    www.windowsupdate.com ?

If so, let it check for updates and install all the security updates.

Let us know what happens.

3. synlupri

Unfortunately no. I did try that too, and it just gives me a blank page.

4. EAFiedler

Do you have HijackThis?

If so, post a log please.

5. synlupri

Okay, I uninstalled SP2 (just in case that was the culprit), but it wasn't. It is still doing the exact same thing. So, now I'm reinstalling it. As soon as that is finished, I will post HJT.

6. synlupri

Okay, that didn't work either. here's my HJT log
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 12:31:26 AM, on 1/25/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\Tmntsrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\tmproxy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\pccguide.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\PCClient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\TMOAgent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus.../sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 02] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe" -l
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 02] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\pccguide.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCClient.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\PCClient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TM Outbreak Agent] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\TMOAgent.exe" /run
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk.disabled
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) -
    O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = OSISGDOMAIN
    O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = OSISGDOMAIN
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = OSISGDOMAIN

7. synlupri

I also made a screen shot of the missing search capabilities. But, there's not way to attach it from what I can see. If you know how, would you please tell me?

Thanks for looking at the log and for trying to help me. :O)

8. EAFiedler

Click on the Go Advanced button below, on that next page, below the message window is a Manage Attachments button.
    From there a window will open where you can Browse to the file on your computer and upload it.

How do you connect to the internet?

What happens if you disable your Anti-Virus program-Trend Micro?
    Can you try that to see if you are able to access Windows Update?
    Is Real Time Monitoring on?

9. synlupri

DSL is my ISP. Real time monitoring is on. Haven't tried disabling anti-virus. Kind of afraid to do so because of all the viruses out there. But I'll do it quickly and let you know.

10. synlupri

okay, that didn't work either. Now I've uninstalled Trend, and installed AVG. Perhaps that will find something Trend didn't. And I set Win updates to auto, so they are downloading too. This is just crazy, eh?

11. synlupri

Well, it is fixed. How? I had to repair the Win XP pro with an installation CD.
    I changed the boot seq to start with the CD, chose to install XP, then when it gave me an option of install or repair, I chose repair. It kept everything in tact, only now I have my search function back. I uninstalled AVG because it said it was corrupt (probably from the repair of XP), so now I'm putting Trend back on. Talk about exhausting.

Thanks again for attempting to help. I just hope this saves someone else 6 hours in the future (yeah, that's how long I spent on this silly thing).

Happy Tuesday!

12. EAFiedler

Thanks for the feedback!

I had found a few instances where Real Time Monitoring had interrupted downloads.

I am not saying the following is bad:
    Do you know what this domain refers to?
    Lines O17 in your log Domain = OSISGDOMAIN

Do those lines still exist in your HijackThis log?

You can mark your thread solved using the Thread Tools at the top of the page.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!