1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Program Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gilbert09, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gilbert09

Gilbert09 Thread Starter

Hello, after several days of cleaning up a clients laptop of around 150 viruses, i think it's now clean. But as always, viruses have effects after they have been removed, and in this case its that it has removed all the links to programs in the all programs list.

All the folders are there, but no links inside them. I have been googling this for multiple hours and the only thing i have found is to restore them using a folder called 'smtmp', well this laptop doesn't have a folder by that name anywhere on the laptop. Also i have ran Unhide.exe.

Does anyone know a way of getting all the links back?

- Cheers

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like a new installation of Windows. All the programs will need to be reinstalled. Even if they are still in Program Files, they are not installed and most of most program's components are not located in their program's folder, anyway.

Check Add/Remove, but the programs are probably not there.

3. Gilbert09

Gilbert09 Thread Starter

Well all the programs are in the add/remove, just the links missing. Will i have to create them manually?

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Try going to Start and then Run, type: regedit and press enter.

Navigate to HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Menu Order\StartMenu - Delete it.
    Navigate to HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Menu Order\StartMenu2 - Delete it.

Restart and see if All Programs is rebuilt.

5. Gilbert09

Gilbert09 Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply, but I'm afraid those aren't there. Are you sure they are the correct names?

6. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

It appears that is XP, I apologize. I will need to do some more searching and see what I can find.

7. Gilbert09

Gilbert09 Thread Starter

Thankyou

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice