1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing RAID-0 partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alex_123_fra, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alex_123_fra

alex_123_fra Thread Starter

Hi, apologies in advance for the extremely novice nature of this but I am new to this.

I have a ROCK Xtreme SL8 laptop with a Clevo D900C motherboard. There are no Win7 drivers for this and when my vista 64-bit install finally died, I decided to do a fresh install with win7 ultimate today.

I also wanted to recreate my RAID-0 configuration with 2 Samsung 250GB drives (and I'm not worried about fault tollerances or recovery as its a gaming laptop). This motherboard isn't supported by any win7 drivers so I used the vista ultimate drivers except for the chipset ones which I got directly from Intel and I installed the latest version of IC8HR compatible ones. Using this I made a software RAID-0 array once windows was already installed.

Now everything is fine and the array read/write speed is fine, but "my computer" is simply unable to find the array. It only recognises 1 of the 2 Samsung drives. When I go into computer management, both drives are there although 1 is seen as a boot volume and the other as a "raw" drive without a letter attached to it.

What do I need to do in order to get windows to recognise the array? The storage controller recognises it and has it as working normally.

Any help appreciated.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

So you basically want to have a 500GB "volume" instead of the two 250 GB ones? If so, you will need to use the options in Disk Management for creating a "dynamic" disk instead of a "basic" one.

3. alex_123_fra

alex_123_fra Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil, yes I am trying to make win7 recognise a 500 GB RAID-0 volume.

I tried playing with disc manager and it seems the discs are already dynamic but not merged and I cannot change this. Here are some images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if the best solution is to do a fresh install again and use disc manager to create the software RAID-0, or is there another way to fix this?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're only seeing one physical drive in Disk Management because thats the way its suppose to be, RAID-0 combines two drives by striping the data across both. You do however have two partitions on the volume and the D: partition is not formatted, you need to format it before you can use it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice