1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Recycle Bin

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wsbr, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wsbr

wsbr Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to restore a missing recycle bin?

I'm using windows 98SE (version 4.10.2222). It's a norton protected recycle bin, but I'm pretty sure that's got nothing to do with it in this case.

It doesn't show up on the desktop, and it doesn't show up on the C: Drive. It's just gone!

When I delete files, windows asks if I want to send them to the recycle bin, as usual, so I click Yes, and it deletes them, except sometimes it freezes and I have to shut down Explorer, which solves the freezing at least. As to where the files go, I don't know...

I've tried using TweakUI, Norton Disk Doctor, Norton Win Doctor, etc. but to no avail.

Help! (please?)

TIA

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I'd uninstall all the Symantec products you have except NAV and Norton Filewall if you have that firewall.

4. DFC

DFC

Try this..

Open regedit and go to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

Under this key create a key with the ID {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} and name the default string value which is created in it to "Recycle Bin" (no quotes)....

5. Pacalis

Pacalis

6. wsbr

wsbr Thread Starter

That seems to be a dead link...???

Also, after uninstalling NSW, and even after reinstalling it, there's no change. But thanks anyway.

I'll try the registry mod next. If that doesn't work, I'll try that recommended .reg file (which I've downloaded.)

Thanks to all who have replied. I'll let you know if either of the two remaining pieces of advice work.

7. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

9. Styxx

Styxx Banned

For future reference if a link doesn't work, all you have to do is highlight, copy and paste the whole link to your browser's Address box and press Enter or click Go.

10. wsbr

wsbr Thread Starter

Thanks, I've got the link thing now.

By the looks of it, I think the registry information for the Recycle Bin has been deleted. I don't know how, either. But most importantly, I don't know how to add it back in.

I tried that .reg file at dougknox.com, but I get the feeling that was for XP - it wasn't even accepted by Win98SE. Probably just as well, in a way... Anyhow, I searched that site for 'recycle' - nothing else came up.

Um. Upgrading to WinXP is looking more and more tempting. But for now, I'll just try googling the bin a bit.

Thanks. :)

11. DFC

DFC

This problem was fixed in another thread. Read THIS and see if it helps. Good luck. (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice