1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing registry information popup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Reboot Camper, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reboot Camper

Reboot Camper Thread Starter

Hi!

If anyone is passing and enjoys Windows 7 problem alerts could you give some idea what to do?
    I am a teacher and often download simple Word documents from a sharing site I am a member of.
    However, recently when I try to go through download I get the message:

"Required registry information is missing and this application cannot run. Please rerun setup to correct this problem"

How do I rerun setup? Setup of what?

2. kenbok51

kenbok51

When you say "I try to go through download" do you mean the download fails to run? If so what are you using to download the files? The browser, a download application? Could you walk us through the steps you take, the applications your using and the point of failure as close as you can get.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What is the extension on these "Word" documents? If you try and open something and you don't have a program installed to view it, you might get something similar to
    It sounds more like you are downloading an exe type of file and not a doc or docx file.

4. Reboot Camper

The documents are normal PowerPoints and Worksheets for class use.
    First I click on the tab saying "Download this worksheet"
    A second tab opens saying download is in progress. It opens but there is an X Error window saying,
    "Required registry information is missing and this application cannot run. Please rerun setup to correct this problem"

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What version of Office is installed on your computer?

6. Reboot Camper

MS Office 2013 including Word, Excel, Onenote, PPT, Notebook

However, some of the files contributed by members are sometimes on different versions

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It might help use if you were to provide a link to where you are downloading these files from?

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What happens when you open Powerpoint first then tell it to open the file you downloaded? (My "newest version of Office is 2007 and I don't use Powerpoint.)

9. Reboot Camper

Thank you DaveA and plodr,

I'll get back to you. I just installed updates and will check

10. Reboot Camper

When I start Word and then download the file I found it possible to override the error message. It may be that the files on the website are older versions of Word.
    They don't automatically download into my Word 2013. I also have transferred files using MS 2007 from an older computer. Previously Windows automatically upgraded the older documents.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Have you tried running the office repair operation?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice