1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

missing scsi drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sting, Jan 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sting

sting Thread Starter

:confused: HELP Me has lost my SCSI drive...it shows when booting up but when windows opens it is not able to be accessed. The device manager shows it as being there but does not give it a drive letter... and I am unable to type one in
    I have a duron 900 system with a 4.2 gig ide drive as well as a 4.3 gig scsi drive running off an adaptec 2940w card
    any assistance much appreciated

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi sting, welcome to TSG.

Does the drive show up in "my computer?"

And in device manager, is the SCSI card showing up without any exclamation marks?

3. Rockn

Rockn

Just because it's connected and seen in the SCSI BIOS doesn't mean Windoze can use it. You still need to partition the drive so the OS can use it. Once the partition or partitions are set up you will need to format them.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

PM from user:

reply to your questions
    Hi, Thank you for your assistance, the drive does not show up in my computer but it is in the device manager altho in the prop tab it does not have a drive letter.
    the scsi card is showing as working ok no conflicts and all drivers loaded

Any other ideas welcomed

5. slipe

slipe

I think Rockn meant to say “format” and not “partition”. It isn’t necessary to partition the drive but it has to be formatted.

Even if it isn’t formatted it should be showing up as a drive. Has it ever worked? Is it a new installation? Anything else on the card? Working?

If it was working and just stopped, try removing the SCSI card in device manager and rebooting. Windows will redetect everything on the card. I have to do that from time to time with my AHA2940 when my burner goes AWOL. You will have to reinstall the card software – I don’t bother as none of my devices are hard drives and I don’t need the BIOS.

6. sting

sting Thread Starter

HELP.... Windows ME cant find my Scsi h/drive, when the system starts up and prior to the windows screen the drive is displayed,and under the scsi bios I can format the drive as well as verify the media. Initially the drive was showing up in device manager with no drive letter assigned but it was not showing up in My Computer. After being advised to remove and reinstall both the scsi card and drive I also lost it from the device manager.

I have contacted IBM...they blame the fault on Microsoft.. and GUESS WHAT.... Microsoft say it is a hardware fault..

I dont care whose fault it is I just need to be able to fix it

ANY help greatly appreciated
    regards
    steve

merged dup thread, please don't start another thread on the same problem, just reply to this one

7. slipe

slipe

Did the SCSI card show up OK in device manager after you rebooted? I have an AHA2940 and occasionally have to remove the card in device manager and Windows redetects the card and all five devices on the chain.

If the card didn’t show up back in device manager I would reseat it in the PCI slot. If the card showed up and the drive didn’t, I would suspect either a bad drive or something wrong on the chain.

Is it the only device on the card? Has it worked before? Do you have the last device on the chain terminated? SCSI ID not set to 7 or duplicate of any other device on the chain?

With only internal devices the termination should be set to “On” in both low and high in your SCSI select utility. If you don’t have the manual for the card download it from Adaptec. Also make sure you have the drivers appropriate for ME and the latest BIOS.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!