1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing security group on 2K DNS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RCSTechnology, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RCSTechnology

RCSTechnology Thread Starter

Hello all - I'm having a problem with my PDC/DC and it might be in my DNS and the security groups assigned to it.

I looked at the event logs and when the DC (PDC and DNS) starts, it can not load records into the DNS. I'm assuming that is because it is the DNS and that service hasn't started yet. After the DC is up, if I run DCDIAG on it, it looks OK and it can do DNS name resolution OK too.

The only real weird thing I can see is that the DNS has a SID in the security tab, which would tell me that it is missing something (probably important). The groups that show are:

1. Administrators
    2. Authenticated users
    3. DNS Admins
    4. Domain Admins
    5. Enterprise Admins
    6. Everyone
    7. Exchange Enterprise Admins
    8. Pre-Win 2K Compatible access
    9.System
    10. ???

Anybody have any idea what that SID might be??? Since I can see the permissions, I can fix this pretty quickly if I just had a clue. No help on the MS site that I could find ...

Thanx to all!

2. volrathxp

volrathxp

****.... um... is the dns service set to start automatically? i mean it should be. also, i take it you're using AD since it is a DC, and you have to have AD to have a DC. As far as that security group goes, it could be any group really. I'm trying to remember which groups are assigned access to DNS when you install it... i know schema admins isn't, i think. but it could be any group... have you looked into the Directory to see if there were any groups missing? i'd have to see some of these things to speculate more, but that's all I can think of right now. Hope I helped.

volrathxp

3. RCSTechnology

RCSTechnology Thread Starter

I checked with Some of my peers who hav similar networks, the group list is correct. I blew away an Exchange server recently and the SID might be that since my new Exchange server is listed.

Also, we might have found the issue is not a server problem, but a workstation issue. Our workstatuions (NT 4) point to our DNS and ISP DNS, and the DNS name is for the ISP. They might have changed something downline without me knowing at the same time as I made other changes... :eek: I'll let everybody know when I'm sure (next Tue night).

4. volrathxp

volrathxp

glad to hear that... hope it all turns out ok... laterz

volrathxp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice