missing shortcut icons pictures

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darkdweller18

hey guys i just joined the forums and yes i searched about my problem and some threads described various methods to resolve this problem but none of them worked for me or maybe i just did them wrong im practically a newb :D so i would appreciate an easy to follow/understand solution im running windows xp sp2

Does not mean you are infected, but I would advise to do a manual scan with Malwarebytes and your regular antivirus just to rule that out.
Obviously, if you are infected post in the appropriate forum here, the pros will help make sure you are all clear.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Can you give us more details? Are you referring to missing icons on your desktop? What icons are missing? What have you tried so far?

darkdweller18

@PrariedogHearder no cause i dont have a system restore point created before the problem occurred its been a month now it occurred right after my computer started spontaneously restarting after regular intervals but that turned out to be a fan problem which i resolved but the missing icons still persist

@rosiesdad i did that its not a virus

@phantom010 yes iam + the icons on start menu not the primary ones just the shortcut icons of other software's installed.I have tried resetting the iconcache and changing the icons size in the display properties

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
But when you click on the shortcuts, the appropriate programs do open, right? They're only showing a white generic icon?

darkdweller18

no they are to the software's installed on my computer but the original icons for the respective shortcuts are fine meaning no white icon also when i manually make a shortcut of a program using the original icon i still get the white generic shortcut icon

DoubleHelix

Banned
What do you call an "original icon"? And how are you "manually" creating new shortcuts?

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
My best guess is a problem with a registry entry for either the ICO association or the LNK association.
Download and run the following Reg files to reset the data to the defaults for both items.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_ico_file_assoc_fix.zip

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip

Once they are downloaded, unzip them and double click the Reg file.
Click Yes to merge the data with your registry.

Delete the iconcache.db file located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data Do this even if you have previously done it.
Note: you'll need to have Hidden System files showing in the Folder Options to see it.

Reboot your computer and see if the correct icons show.

darkdweller18

@doublehelix the icon of a file which is used to launch the program itself present in the folder of the respective program and i right click it and then make a shortcut of the launch icon as in "manually" creating a shortcut

@throoper do i merge both files?

throoper

@throoper do i merge both files?
Yes.
The ICO fix resets the default file type association for icons.
The LNK will reset the registry info for how links are handled, part of which is how Windows handles default icons for links (this is the one I suspect is causing the problem, but the ICO fix should be done as well to eliminate that as a source of the problem) .

It's important to also delete the iconcache.db so you can be sure you're not just loading the icons stored there.

throoper

No. The iconcache.db gets automatically regenerated with the current icon data so you should be all set now. (y)

You can mark your thread solved with the button at the top of your first post.
And welcome to TSG.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online