1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by petgomon1, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petgomon1

petgomon1 Thread Starter

OS: Windows Vista Business, I have been noticing that many programs I previously installed are no-longer in the start menu/programs menu. In particular programs I have not used for quite some time. However I can execute the program by browsing into the file folder of the program. In some cases I ended up re-creating the menu items. I have created a new user and logged in as that user and it is the same. One program in particular I will bring up is FSX since this is a Microsoft program. I have researched the internet and have not seen anything that really resembles my problem. I have done no tweaking of the system. I do remember issues that people had at one time about missing icons etc... Other program shortcuts from the programs menu that have gone MIA are SNORT, Nessus, etc...

2. Jacee

Jacee

What happens if you right click on the program and select 'pin to startup' ?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Has Desktop Cleanup run and put rarely used shortcuts in a folder?

4. petgomon1

petgomon1 Thread Starter

Suggestion #1:If I pin them to the start menu, all works well.
    Suggestion #2: The desktop is not the issue. I don't keep shortcuts on the desktop, I like it clean.
    Where the shortcuts go MIA is from the "start" button"/programs.
    It appears that Vista deletes them when they have not been used in a couple of months.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The area that you are talking about is the called "Recent Used Programs" area. If you do NOT continue to use them, they will fall off the list as you use others.
    You can change the number of these entries by doing a customize on the Start Menu tab of the properties of the start menu.

6. petgomon1

petgomon1 Thread Starter

That didn't help as I have already looked into that. What I am saying is the programs are completely missing from the start/programs menu and the only way to use them is to go into program files and execute the program and/or pin it to the start menu.
    For example, you install a program. The program installation creates shortcuts in your Start/Programs menu. The installation went fine. A couple of months later the shortcuts are gone from the Start-Programs menu and I have to go to the Program Files directory on the C:\ drive and into the program folder and execute it from there.(n)

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    OK, the only way this can happen is that they are being deleted. I know of no program that will clean these things up.
    Are you sure that you or some one else is not deleting them?

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Hi Jacee. I thought I was pretty familiar with Vista but I have not heard of, nor do I have, this function. Comment? Sounds a little useful! (Something to do with BitLocker, for which I have no use?)

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may have to take ownership of files and folders, as well as to enable hidden files/folders, but the shortcuts you are missing are probably in the AllUsers or Default account and you can copy them to your profile. No telling how your profile got corrupted, but often it is due to shutdowns that don't adequately save the user hive. The User Profile Service should be running and automatic.

For taking ownership, which you need to do often in Vista if you want to make changes to the system, you can do it manually each time through the menu, or you can add the functionality to your right-click menu with the attached reg file.

Attached Files:

10. petgomon1

petgomon1 Thread Starter

No, no-one else has access to the machine. I am clueless as to what has caused this. I do know however that it will be some time before I will let this OS be introduced into our working environment.

11. petgomon1

petgomon1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the Reg key. I'll give this a try tonight once I get home.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's not a solution, but it may be easier to copy the shortcuts than to create new ones. Check that service, too. And note when you are shutting down if any apps seem to cause a hang (sometimes they are displayed on the screen).

You may also find the attached shortcut handy. It schedules a new restore point for the nexr available idle period. You'll need to choose your own icon for it.

Attached Files:

13. Jacee

Jacee

uhaligani, I don't use Bit Locker...both Vista Business and Ultimate have the 'pin to startup' (right click) feature on my machines.

Once a program is pinned, it stays unless you right click again and select 'unpin'

14. Jacee

Jacee

You can make a shortcut in the 'send to' (located in right click drop down menu)

1. Click start > all programs > accessories > "run"
    2. In the run box, type shell:sendto click okay
    A window will open with the current sendto shortcuts.
    3. Right click anywhere on that window, select "new shortcut".
    4. Click Browse, find your shortcut, click okay.

You might also, want to use "quick launch" for some programs

15. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

OK That was interesting but a learning experience. I use the classic menu. The "Pin to" doesn't show up there. It only pops up in the default classic menu. I'll have to get used to it!
    Sorry to interrupt - I'll leave you guys to sort out the thread problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!