1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing Shutdown option in Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lovable_zaet, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lovable_zaet

lovable_zaet Thread Starter

Hallo!

A few days ago the Shutdown option at the bottom of the start menu has disappeared and from the Ctrl+Alt+Delete also.

I have scanned the computer with Avira antivirus, free version, and super antispyware. Lots of things were deleted, but the shutdown option is still missing.

I have not been able to shut my laptop down for two days.

Apreciate your help.

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

You should be able to shut down the machine by holding the Power key down for about 10-15 seconds. Then I would recommend booting into Safe Mode and run all your scans again. If your are still missing options, consider using System Restore, then run all scans again.

Also, read my post here, for what I consider sage advice for situations like this.

Good luck.

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

4. helpmerick

helpmerick

Good find Devil. I think that it points out that something on this system has indeed disabled some Policy (security) settings in Windows. Unfortunately, the missing "Off" option is probably the tip of the iceberg.

5. lovable_zaet

Thanks for the info.

Will try when get home tonight.

I read your suggestions and have a question about Mozilla.

Doesn't IE 7 have Phishing Protection also?

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

7. lovable_zaet

I am unable to start in SAFE Mode

The list of things loading gets stuck on ....system32\drivers\mup.sys

8. helpmerick

helpmerick

Things are looking bad fast Lovable. Sounds more and more like you need to pull the plug, and start over...other wise you could spend weeks on these boards hunting for the proverbial needle in a haystack, losing sleep, getting frustrated, etc.

Yes, IE 7 has a phishing filter and some improvements in security over 6, but the reason Firefox, Opera, etc are much safer is that they don't allow Active X controls which is cool when used for good, but IE's biggest threats come from rampant rouge Active X attacks. I use Firefox exclusively and NEVER have problems with spyware.

Good luck.

9. online_fixes

online_fixes

A reinstall is kinda drastic before running a few tests. mup.sys can be caused by a bad sector error so I would test the drive first. After it completes I would then run a test on your system files as I have listed below.

1. You the computer user can manually run the chkdsk command to check for problems.

To do this:

Step One: Click Start, select Run

Step Two: In the box, type cmd

Step Three: Click Ok

Step Four: Run the chkdsk utility by typing in the following command:

chkdsk c:

..or

chkdsk c: /f /r

NOTE: The /f command automatically fixes any errors encountered, the /r command locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

NOTE: I am also assuming the drive you wish to check is the C: drive.

Step Five: A reboot is normally required for the chkdsk program to lock the disk and run correctly (this is typical on machines that have only one volume), so simply restart the computer and chkdsk will run automatically. When it's finished, (This process can take quite a while depending on the size of your disk, etc.), it will boot back to normal Windows.

2. Please start the Command Prompt by Clicking Start and then Run and typing cmd and pressing enter.

When the dos window opens type or copy & paste sfc /scannow and press enter.

Windows will check the presence and versions of all vital files. You will be prompted for the Windows CD if anything needs to be replaced.

10. helpmerick

helpmerick

Reinstalls only take about 2 hours in most cases and the problem is solved. The cause of this problem can take days and many more hours to hunt down and then there is never a guarantee that everything got fixed.

I've wasted too many hours scanning, troubleshooting, and still coming up just a little short.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!