1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Missing SNDVOL32

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kole, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kole

kole Thread Starter

Whenever I try to access the sndvol32.exe file I get the following message:

"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, adn then click Add Hardware. This program will now close."

The sndvol32.exe file does appear in the System32 folder, but when I click on it or try to run it from the Start menu I get the above error message. If I go into the Control Panel and look in the sound section, most of the options are disabled (I can't adjust options). I'm not sure what's going on because this seems to only affect my ability to watch Youtube/Google video as I still get sound when I'm playing music from Windows Media Player or in Quicktime....

Any advice?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Welcome to TSG, I've split you off the other poster, you should try to start a new thread for your own problems whenever properly.

Here's the solution to your issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095

3. kole

kole Thread Starter

Hi Triple6:

Thanks for the tips :) (will make sure to start new threads for specific problems in the future!)..
    I unfortunately don't have my Windows XP disks. Is there another way of doing something similar to reinstall the file? I tried downloading Couriant's zipped file, but the same message comes up when I try to use it....

All the best,
    kole :)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do a search on your hard drive for SNDVOL32.EXE, you may have a backup copy in the Repair or Cache folder that you can copy to the C:\Windows\System32 folder

5. kole

kole Thread Starter

The only two that come up is the sndvol32.exe file that is in the C:\Windows\System32 folder and the sndvol32.zip from Courriant...

Anything else I could try?

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

kole, Go into Folder Options>View tab and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)", click Apply/OK. Now you should see the C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder. There should be a copy of sndvol32.exe in it.

Tufenuf

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If that above doesn't work, which the above could be very well why, then extract the SNDVOL32.EXE from Courriant's ZIP and copy it to the C:\Windows\System32 folder overwriting the one thats there now.

8. kole

kole Thread Starter

I did both of the suggested actions that both of you, Tufenuf and Triple6, recomended and the same error message comes up as shown in my first post. Not sure what the deal is :(

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried downloading and reinstalling the sound driver?

10. kole

kole Thread Starter

From where can I download this? I tried Courriants and it didn't work? Anywhere else I can get a sound-driver? Do I need to know specifications of my sound-card? how do I find that out?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it the Compaq? If so you should be able to download the driver from their website.

12. kole

kole Thread Starter

Hi Triple6:

Thank you soooo much for all your help / patience with this! Still haven't figured it out but I found the download site for drivers related to my notebook on the Compaq website. There's an extensive list of drivers and none are explicitly for sound: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=ca&product=385154&dlc=en. Do you think that "Notebook Recovery Disc Set Windows XP Home PR" is the one I want?

Regards,
    Kole

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is it just a Presario 2500 or is there another 25xx number on the bottom. What does Windows say your sound card is?

14. kole

kole Thread Starter

how do i find out what my sound card is? seems like its just a presario 2500

15. kole

kole Thread Starter

sorry was hoping to pick up this thread again if anyone has any advice....

from what i can tell it is just a presario 2500, but i'm not sure how to check what my sound card is...

is there a way of resending the couriant file, so that i can retry some of this stuff maybe. it's soooo frustrating!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!